Author Topic: friendly bird  (Read 4378 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
friendly bird
« on: April 08, 2015, 11:54:17 »
Just back from the allotment beautiful day here inEnfield. Watched a bird, a thrush i think, building a nest in my bay tree. So busy and so tame, fascinating watching it, not much work done. Of course camera at home. It wasnt at all scared of me, so sweet.

Golach

• Half Acre
Re: friendly bird
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 12:41:30 »
I love it when we've been digging, then having a cup of coffee and the Robins come down and pick the bugs.  They get closer as they get to know you (and that a tasty meal is forthcoming).  Lovely to watch.

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 14:44:30 »
must admit ive been chopping the heads off the wireworms ive dug up and i stick them on a brick for the birds always gone the next day sometimes the robbin will come down while im there too

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 16:27:03 »
A lovely few days  :sunny: in Enfield indeed, I'd recommend some cream for your thrush B.     :icon_cheers:      :sunny:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 23:59:21 »
Kev is back,  :blob7:

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 22:10:14 »
My friend is still building its nest, think it may be a blackbird, female is brown I believe. Saw a blackbird about, but not doing the work just eating, typical man. (joke). Might treat myself to a better camera, birds don't seem to like being photographed.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 12:01:39 »
Sexist!   :tongue3:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 09:04:37 »
Blackbird for sure.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 10:45:46 »
Might treat myself to a better camera, birds don't seem to like being photographed.

Aldi have reduced their Maginon SZ350 bridge cameras to half price and are now £49.99. 

They have 35 x optical zoom lens and are 20 megapixel.   Ideal for photographing birds with that zoom lens.

See: 
http://www.digicamreview.com/2014/12/maginon-sz-350-budget-bridge-camera.html

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 18:42:35 »
I've just looked at your piccie B, lovely bit of grass you've got growing there.   :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 22:02:57 »
My friend is still building its nest, think it may be a blackbird, female is brown I believe. Saw a blackbird about, but not doing the work just eating, typical man. (joke). Might treat myself to a better camera, birds don't seem to like being photographed.

Yep, that's a female blackbird. I think it's an older one since she has a yellow beak, so she should be pretty experienced and hopefully will rear a good batch of ugly-cute babies.

A dish of live mealworms will prove very popular with her (and robins, and starlings). I once tamed a robin to take mealworms from my hand and he eventually brought his brood of fledglings to share the treats. They were very confiding, and used to perch on my hand or stand next to it leaning on it, eating the worms.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal