Author Topic: GH safety  (Read 3317 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
GH safety
« on: April 06, 2015, 21:49:06 »
Nearly had a bad one yesterday. Sat down on garden chair and it disintegrated sending me flying towards the GH. The chair back smashed a pane and my head was lucky enough to hit the only plastic planter at the side of the GH, otherwise I'd have headbutted the glass with force. I'm now considering overlaying the sides with chicken wire. I don't think it would stop cuts if someone fell into it but it should stop them going through, I hope. What's folks thoughts on that solution? It's not a lotty it's a back garden and we do have barbies and drink out there so I'm a bit worried after that near miss. Can't afford to reglaze in polycarb.

pumkinlover

Re: GH safety
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 08:26:19 »
I would suggest that you wait till you have got over the shock and then reassess. There are risks every where and we just take sensible precautions or never do any thing. Glad that you got off with no major injury.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:35:08 »
Nearly had a bad one yesterday. Sat down on garden chair and it disintegrated sending me flying towards the GH. The chair back smashed a pane and my head was lucky enough to hit the only plastic planter at the side of the GH, otherwise I'd have headbutted the glass with force. I'm now considering overlaying the sides with chicken wire. I don't think it would stop cuts if someone fell into it but it should stop them going through, I hope. What's folks thoughts on that solution? It's not a lotty it's a back garden and we do have barbies and drink out there so I'm a bit worried after that near miss. Can't afford to reglaze in polycarb.

Glad you weren't hurt by the glass.  How is the head?  You can buy sticky plastic film (a bit like the film for school book covers)  and place that over glass panes.  Glass can still smash and potentially hurt someone, but the film keeps the bits from shattering everywhere.   

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 20:03:49 »
The head is fine, ta!  :happy7: Had the rake handle to the eye the day before and then went over my ankle going out the back door today. Really accident prone couple of days :( amazing what will happen when the missus goes daft at homebase buying paint and wallpaper!!!

Aye the plastic sounds a good plan actually. I can visualise the stuff you mean.

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 00:06:14 »
My dad went through the side of my greenhouse in march not watching what he was doing.  Wish i'd been there so I could have got £250 from you've been framed

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:17:22 »
If the exposed side is the N facing side then the plants would be better off with twinwall polycarbonate - it's warmer in cold weather. Unfortunately if the same side faces the house then it will definitely make it look less attractive.

The glass you remove will eventually get used on the other side - there are always going to be a few cracks or breaks panes every year.

Incidentally, if you cut a flat sheet out of a clear lemonade bottle you can curl it flat and use it as a shingle over those holes that appear when a pane only has a corner missing.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal