Author Topic: New Compost Heap  (Read 4799 times)

themauler

• Not So New ...
New Compost Heap
« on: April 05, 2015, 14:59:53 »
Any help appreciated

I have just made a new compost heap mainly for horse manure. What I wanted to know is can I also mix grass cuttings in with it and are there any benefits or negatives in doing so.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: New Compost Heap
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 17:26:07 »
You are probably good!  The idea when composting is to mix "green" and "brown" materials in equal measure.  However manure and grass are considered green in that they rot quickly and are full of nitrogen.  Now if your "manure" is like mine it is probably made up of a lot of hay, straw or wood shavings as well as poo. Mixing in some grass with that would be fine.  If you literally have manure then maybe you would need to think about adding a source of brown materials like shredded cardboard or prunings.

More info here http://www.recyclenow.com/reduce/home-composting/making-compost

I have just built two one meter cubes of a mixture of small animal cage sweepings (which is full of rabbit poo, paper and straw) and stable sweepings (which is full of horse poo, hay and a bit of fine wood shavings.  I only put it all together yesterday and today it was so hot in the middle of them I couldn't keep my hand in it!

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

themauler

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 21:31:47 »
The manure I have is straw free and a couple of years old already. I was hoping to be able to use it straight away but adding greens would it be ready to use next year at the earliest?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 07:28:22 »
TBH I would probably just use the manure as it is as it sounds perfectly ready.  Maybe start a new heap with grass cuttings and some fresh manure?  I guess adding the grass won't be an issue if you are wliing to wait for it to rot. You could just use the clippings as a mulch.

themauler

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 21:57:20 »
Sorry for the delay

Thanks for that, I may use it and start a new heap as you say

Thanks again

themauler

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 21:36:31 »
Hi
Going back to the mix of green and brown in equal messures, do you have to have a layer of green and then an equal layer of browns, or can I just put greens and Browns in as and when I have them. If so, do I then have to keep mixing them together and how often.

Thanks

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 10:05:35 »
Don't worry about it. The books tell you a lot of things, and a lot of it is best ignored. You need a great deal of stuff all at once to build a textbook heap anyway. Build your heap, put anything you like in it, make sure it's well covered, and leave it till next spring. Everything will have rotted quite happily.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 10:42:16 »
Just as Robert says.....
there is nothing stopping you building the heap as and when you get hold of suitable compostable material..just keep adding stuff...layers or all mixed up, it doesn't matter. The heap might not heat up when slowly adding stuff...but when the compost bin is finally full up, you can then do back breaking work out and get it all out, and put it back in in different 'order'...maybe adding some fresh grass clippings as 'rocket fuel' and often that will set up the heating process...other stuff you can use if you don't have grass clippings handy is watering the heap with your own 'water'.. :icon_cheers: Wee does wonders for compost heap but if you are feeling 'funny' about it...sulphate of ammonia is basically same stuff but in 'granular' form, sold for gardeners as fertilizer...wee, ammonia and grass are all high in nitrogen than will start up composting process. :happy7:
The heat is not absolutely essential...even if you don't empty the bin and decide to do 'cold composting'(less labour)...all the stuff will still compost down to lovely stuff, but it will just take that little bit longer then heated up version.
 Everything that was once alive will eventually rot/compost down given some time.... :icon_thumleft:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:44:24 by goodlife »

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 19:40:09 »
Brown corrugated cardboard boxes (cartons) from retailers will bulk up and contribute to the mix. Be selective, scrounge the cleanest available, avoiding white card/glossy printed and watch out for the evil coppery coloured, sharp  staples used to hold them together. Tear or cut the flat panels into manageable 20cm squares, or any shape will do! Soak in water for a couple of days, then scrumple up to prevent the bits laying densely flat. Mix in layers with all other waste/weeds/ mowings,etc. These will heat rapidly, keep moist but not wet. An old carpet square across the top will help to maintain temperature and moderate variations in moisture. Dont expect to compost the carpet.The inclusion of pet bedding, poultry waste,and bonus crops of vegetation(Comfrey, hog weed,etc from waste ground, next door neighbours mowings, shredded prunings is all 'grist to the mill'
In one memorable year, the heat generated hatched and reared a whole family of grass snakes .The carpet was always lifted with a hoe at arms length!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

themauler

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 00:20:32 »
Robert says to keep the heap covered. Is this a must and if so does it matter what it is covered by. Carpet is mentioned as one option, what other options are there. Also, is it better to mix or turn it over regularly or leave it until it is full?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 06:42:55 »
Cover it with anything that will help to regulate temp and moisture.  My heaps are just pallets held together by wire and I have some think black plastic covering them.  You don't want it sodden but you don't want it to dry out either and you want to keep the heat in - obviously a proper lid if you have a shop bought one is probably best but anything will do, bit of ply wood, carpet, thick bin liners even thick card at a push although it will fall apart!

And always wee on your heaps.  I take mine to the plot in bottles - I do get some odd looks.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 14:28:41 »
And always wee on your heaps.  I take mine to the plot in bottles - I do get some odd looks.

I've been using wee as a fertiliser this year, as well as an activator for my straw bale garden. It's got to the stage where it feels really weird to go to a friend's house and not wee into a jug and then pour into a bottle. ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 17:39:19 »
Black plastic is good for covering heaps. It keeps the light out (vital to stop it all growing again), and doesn't leak toxins like carpet does. I use compost bins which are another alternative. I don't turn the contents at all, just fill them one year and use the contents the next.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 20:06:42 »
Robert,
 It may be a local thing but around here its easier to get a couple of square metres of top grade, all wool Wilton in clean condition than a suitable heavy duty polytarp, for nowt!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal