Author Topic: Visitors  (Read 3927 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Visitors
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:21:37 »
So this nose appeared out of the bushes in the garden.  Looked like a cat but was not one I had seen before.  But it was too pointed.  Then it was clear it was a small fawn.  Very pretty in its spotted coat.  Then mother appeared with her large ears and stared at me through the kitchen window.  Grabbed the camera.  Wretched thing tool ages to take the picture.

Nice picture of the garden seat with a faint brown smudge behind it.

It seems a bit big for a muntjac so think it might be a roe deer.  Did not have the dark marking on the face.  Fawn about the size of a skinny cat.  Ears upright.

Came again in the evening.

gray1720

• Hectare
Re: Visitors
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:26:08 »
Big ears sounds like roe to me - munt have big ears, which stick out sideways, but roe have huge ears that stick up like radar dishes. Both species have spotted fawns, which doesn't help...

Adrian

My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:57:56 »
Went out this morning to admire my pansies.  Some of the clumps were about a foot across covered in blue flowers.

Did you note the 'were' in the sentence.  Hardly a flower left.  Gone off deer!!!   :BangHead: :BangHead:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 13:50:16 »
Went out this morning to admire my pansies.  Some of the clumps were about a foot across covered in blue flowers.

Did you note the 'were' in the sentence.  Hardly a flower left.  Gone off deer!!!   :BangHead: :BangHead:

Oh deer.. :tongue3: But they are so cute.. flowers will grow back and after all, they might be even better than before after having their tops 'pinched off'....literally... :sunny:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 15:12:11 »
I don't blame them, pansies are delicious!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 08:54:43 »
I don't blame them, pansies are delicious!

We had a muntjac that had obviously been visiting the garden over winter (judging by the nibbled off bits) getting caught in the cast iron gate.  Clearly it had got too fat for this escape route to still work.  They make a lot of racket!  Neighbour came to help - sack over its head to prevent biting, neighbour prised the gate uprights apart and OH held and calmed the deer down whilst all this was happening.  The second it was free, we could not see it for dust - apparently no worse for its ordeal.  Actually I hope it does not come back as by now we have outdoor landcress and chard again.  Other plants are being added daily that I really don't want to lose either.   :wave:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 22:06:27 »
We get deer in our garden.  They trim the roses and any other shrubs that they fancy, but I must admit we love to see them.

We are making a new secret garden based on designs we saw on tv when watching the Chelsea Garden Show.   We will have an arched entrance but with a gate put on it so the deer cannot get in.  There will be posts with wires and climbers to seal the area off.  I daresay the deer will trim the climbers but should not be able to get into the actual garden which will have a tiered water fountain and pond as its centre piece.  It was a present from my family for my 70th birthday last year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal