Author Topic: A slow cold start to spring  (Read 9014 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
A slow cold start to spring
« on: April 01, 2015, 22:26:23 »
Is everyone feeling the same as me that it's been a slow start to spring this year (I live in Birmingham)? I have only just today sown tomatoes, aubergines and peppers (for germinating indoors) as well as cabbage , lettuce and beetroot (for my cold greenhouse).
A soil thermometer I have in the garden hasn't got above 10C so far!!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: A slow cold start to spring
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:08:44 »
Is everyone feeling the same as me that it's been a slow start to spring this year (I live in Birmingham)? I have only just today sown tomatoes, aubergines and peppers (for germinating indoors) as well as cabbage , lettuce and beetroot (for my cold greenhouse).
A soil thermometer I have in the garden hasn't got above 10C so far!!

You have a point, although it doesn't affect indoor sowings of course.  We have had more frost than usual here, never very cold - our coldest was -6 this winter so far - but lots of frosty nights, far more than most winters.  And phaenology (appearance dates of forsythia, daffodils etc) suggests that we are indeed a bit later than last year.  Haven't got my book in front of me but I think we are ten days behind last year.  But still very average seen over the last decade.  The gales of the last few days don't help 'feeling' spring either.

But the brassica seedlings in the greenhouse are looking ok, need to feed them but in no hurry yet planting them out.  Some of the lettuce is about ready to be planted out and I have to finish the broadies and make a start on the potatoes.  Pea transplanting is ongoing.  Do make a start and trust in spring.  Soon you will be rushed off your feet and anything you have done earlier, will make 'mad May' easier.   :wave:

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 07:25:15 »
Know what you mean George , springs been on a go slow here not far from you , which has given me a chance to get ahead as like galina says a few good days and things will be off! But not this week for sure.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:39:40 »
Well at least it has allowed me to get on with work on the plot - building compost heaps and raised beds, getting the paths cleared, going to the stables for manure etc..  Plot has never looked so good for the time of year - not much green though!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:26:51 »
I am finding it too cold to want to go to the plot too often.  It is a very windy site and the wind rips through.  The hedges are not much use yet.

The green under the hedges is getting going but not much else.

Plot still needs work and lots of it.  Only veggy looking good are my wizard beans and the parsley I sowed in the autumn. 

But the cool is keeping the daffodils looking at their best and the cydonia looks great in salmon pink loveliness.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 09:21:10 »
I'm slightly later than usual...about couple of weeks,  with tomato sowing..I just don't believe we are over the cold yet and there is no point doing them too early neither. And I'm running out with spare growing room indoors too... :BangHead:
I don't know if it is sign of 'maturing' or not...but this winter I've really felt like not pushing my body for great outdoor for long periods of time...it has been damp and cold and if body doesn't agree with it, there is no point arguing with it. The weather and soil WILL eventually warm up and I shall do more when the time is right.
First lot of peas and broadbeans are just pushing through (sowed in post in GH)..next lot is going to be sown soon and
I've just started to put bundles of seed packets together...ready for the action :toothy10: I'm going to sow some brassicas and lettuce 'stuff' this week.....slowly getting myself being busy, busy again...oh and some flower seeds need doing, those I'm going to do today :toothy10:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 11:18:06 »
Apart from the wind damage to my now drunken reeling fence posts, I am enjoying this long slow spring as I have time to get on with all the jobs without things rushing along so fast I can't keep up.

I remember the first week of April 2006 and my garden still being frozen after a perishing winter with very few daffs showing through and certainly no sign of buds on roses and other shrubs.    Winter 06/07 was even worse.   Temps of -15C for a few weeks are standard here but that year we hit -32C in early January.    Spring then comes late and all in a whoosh.

This is the second winter in a row here we haven't got below -6C and have had very little snow but lots of rain.   The first snowdrops appeared in a  sheltered spot in late November.  All the others started in February and are just going over.  Crocuses have appeared and flowered for a long time and now the daffs and hyacinths are coming through in the soil and the tulips and other bulbs in pots.   Roses are putting on fresh growth and the clems are starting to shoot too.

A month ago I sowed leafy stuff like salads, herbs and brassicas in my unheated greenhouse.  They've come through in their own sweet time and were pricked out this Tuesday.   Last week I sowed toms, chilies and peppers in heated propagators.  The toms are through already and pricked out and the peppers and chilies are showing now.   Sowing broad beans today and then spring onions and planting sets on Saturday when we hope the weather won't be drenching us.

Tomorrow OH and I will go and buy the wood and fixings we need to restore our fence posts to a vertical, sober attitude and then I can get on with pruning cornuses and taking cuttings and training the soft fruits while OH forks over the veggie beds.    He's taken next week off so we can get the veg and fruit sorted so we can stay ahead this growing year.
Obxx - Vendée France

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 17:43:14 »
its been the cold wind thats caused the most problems here on the east coast but today has been nice so lets hope its not long before i can plant out all the seedlings crammed into my greenhouse :icon_cheers: so the plots all locked up lol
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 18:50:07 »
The willow catkins are definitely a little late here. Things are coming up vary slowly, I haven't done much planting, and dropping election leaflets has been a bit of an ordeal at times.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 15:08:57 »
plot looking rather sad for itself :coffee2:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 19:33:28 »
plot looking rather sad for itself :coffee2:

No!
Not sad, just waiting for the green light!
 I could show you some plots near mine that are really sad...
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 19:46:21 »
dont matter with my plot its a field covered in black plastic just aswell as ive not been up for a couple of weeks now looking after ill family at moment but managed to plant me spuds garlic was in late last year and im currently clearing the next bit for me butternut squash to go in but that will have to wait till family is better just try to keep on top of the weeds till then

deadbird

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 20:27:07 »
finally I have a few broad beans planted outdoors coming thro ,also a glimpse of potato planted under fleece but my early sowings of parsnips are very sparse,onions planted in autumn have disappeared
Like the idea. Of a soil thermometer and knowing the acidity of your soil
Next year I think I'll be more scientific and avoid sowing early-- it's been my downfall lately,allotment too exposed

🤓

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 00:34:01 »
Don't worry everyone!  There's no such thing as a 'normal' start day for spring ... just averages.

Fairly soon it will be  :sunny: all round and the plants will make up for lost time.  If you've got spare windowsill or greenhouse space why not try putting in some modules of things you'd normally sow directly to give them a head start - then get them out once spring has caught up.  I'm doing it with peas, carrots and parsnips this year coz I know that if I put them straight in now nothing will germinate.

My hotbed using spent hops rather than manure has also been in play this year and I've managed to germinate cucumbers and watermelons directly on the plot!  Whether they make it through to maturity with such an early start is debatable but we'll see!

Just keep thinking positively ... it's bound to warm up soon!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 14:47:06 »
been hand pollinating my apricot Alfred this morning he is always early so needs a helping hand

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 17:28:15 »
And there we have it - the Sun came out, the poly tunnel is hot, there are bees on the early blossom, toms are having a holiday from the window sill, compost heaps are steaming and I am in a t shirt and shorts!! it feels like Spring has sprung!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 18:14:51 »
I can't work in this heat! :BangHead: Where is the rain? :tongue3:
Little bit of sun and my head is not right :drunken_smilie:..I got wild with seed sowing, should all the varieties that I did germinate..I don't have no change fitting them all 'in'..and that is only brassicas! :drunken_smilie: 'Dangerous business' this bright weather is.. :glasses9:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 18:20:56 »
i know but was brought down to earth with a easter bump when my wife announced that the grankids were coming up and i was to stage a egg hunt on my plots  :BangHead: however in the sunshine they had a great time and i had to admit so did i :blob7: :angel13:

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 20:19:36 »
Not long back from the allotment.  Beautiful afternoon here, warmish and sunny.  Played with my new weed wand while son did some digging.

Wandered down to my original allotment (other end of allotments).  Brussels Sprouts I planted last year are still only abut 14 inches high and the sprouts haven't grown more than half an inch in diameter.  I wonder what is in the soil on that plot that stunts the growth of plants (if they grow at all).

New plot seems to have better soil so hopefully I'll get some veg this year.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 17:15:39 »
maybe in the past they have had a bonfire on that part of the plot and burnt plastic and such like may have tainted the soil :BangHead:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal