Author Topic: I've had a fight with a salmon!  (Read 1834 times)

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
I've had a fight with a salmon!
« on: April 01, 2015, 15:30:07 »
No I haven't been fishing. I had a delivery from my local supermarket - special offer whole salmon -. Didn't expect such big b.....  to arrive with only it's guts taken out. I've had a devil of a job trying to filet it and cut it into manageable pieces. It would have helped to have had the right equipment. Dressmaking scissors and a carving knife didn't exactly do the job. 2 hours later its in the freezer but it's not a pretty sight.
YL

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: I've had a fight with a salmon!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 16:29:23 »
Lol..I can just imagine it all...and all the mess afterwards to clear out too.

I buy whole salmon or two just before Christmas when they are available at right price in shops. I do own sharp filleting knife and very sturdy kitchen scissors...makes job much easier, though the amount of mess is not any less.
In the end it is worth it, much cheaper than buying salmon in smaller pieces.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 19:49:13 »
They're best cooked on the bone, remember those (big) oval fish kettles? If its preferred to freeze in portion sizes, then cutlets (steaks) simply cut through the back in , say, 40mm intervals. Its easiest to cut or fillet when the fish is cooled down almost to freezing. A really sharp knife is essential.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 08:55:14 »
i like sea fishing so a filleting knife is essential as i like to bring home what i catch if legal not much from that auction site either

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal