Author Topic: Purple sprouting brocolli  (Read 2650 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
Purple sprouting brocolli
« on: March 31, 2015, 11:34:17 »
Just picked first psb this year. Not bad for the frozen north and well worth the 10 month wait!

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Purple sprouting brocolli
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:42:05 »
I visited plot for the first time for months and found some of my netting had blown away, so birds/deer had attacked half my psb.....but where the netting was still in place it was doing very well and I had a good picking. All covered up again now, so I am sure it will grow back. Ten months is a long time, but what else can you eat in late March, April apart from leeks and cabbages? Well worth it.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:12:56 »
I had some white sprouting broccoli couple of weeks back...YUM YUM! :toothy10: Yep...one of the first crops and one that I'm always so looking forward  :icon_cheers:
And talking about 'early crops'....my Vietnamese coriander has spent WHOLE winter outdoors..tucked away against house wall...and it has survived!...and not only that...it had few green leaves on the tip of the stems all the time and now showing signs of new growth from otherwise bare stems!! :icon_cheers: It is not supposed to be winter hardy ?!

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 19:02:34 »
Interesting that where I am, in SW France, my  sprouting broccoli had no signs of purple shoots three days ago.  Then yesterday I checked again and all the plants were covered in the first visible shoots, no central head. but lots of shoots which we might treat ourselves to on Easter Day.
And our cavelo nero Kale has been shooting for a couple of weeks now!  i pick these just like sp broccoli, before the flowers burst, and they are just as nice, really good cooked quickly in a wok.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 20:58:34 »
Had my first ever homegrown PSB the other week and it was delicious. The plant is almost ready to be harvested again now too!

I was surprised that the five plants I have are so variable in flowering time. One's been harvested, one's just about ready now, two have central heads starting under a crown of leaves, and one has no sign of flowers yet. I was sort if expecting them to be all ready at once. Not complaining though!

titus a duxas

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:40:01 »
I would guess that the trigger is sunshine where flowers would start to open when insects are flying
Its been so dull and overcast this last 4 weeks.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 11:42:32 »
I was surprised that the five plants I have are so variable in flowering time. One's been harvested, one's just about ready now, two have central heads starting under a crown of leaves, and one has no sign of flowers yet. I was sort if expecting them to be all ready at once. Not complaining though!

Mine are the same Silverleaf. Should extend the harvesting. Last time I grew psb it all came together and I couldn't give it all away let alone eat it!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal