Author Topic: Busy Greenhouse  (Read 3058 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Busy Greenhouse
« on: March 30, 2015, 14:28:08 »
Things are beginning to move as you can see here:

The Hotbed:

Tomatoes;

Peppers

I still think of these as Geraniums but if you like you can call them Pelargoniums:

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Busy Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:22:35 »
All your plants are doing well Tee Gee.  I assume you heat your greenhouse? 

My young plants are still indoors and I really need them to go in the greenhouse but I have no heating in there.  Would fleece protect them enough if there was a frost?  I have mainly tomatoes, chillies and peppers. 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 13:30:00 »
My young plants are still indoors and I really need them to go in the greenhouse but I have no heating in there.  Would fleece protect them enough if there was a frost?  I have mainly tomatoes, chillies and peppers.

I think these plants want a minimum temperature of around 40°F (4°C)

Have you access to any bread trays?

I find I can get around 60 x 3" pots in these and they are handy for moving batches of plants around.

What is on mind is: you could carry your plants out to the greenhouse and leave them there if you can keep them at around 40°F then if you get a frost warning you could quickly fetch them indoors again!

BTW

I have been looking at the pictures I added and they appear to be jumbled up is anyone else finding this?

I do this with stuff that is in my coldframe if I get a frost warning!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 10:08:11 »

I think these plants want a minimum temperature of around 40°F (4°C)

Have you access to any bread trays?

I find I can get around 60 x 3" pots in these and they are handy for moving batches of plants around.

What is on mind is: you could carry your plants out to the greenhouse and leave them there if you can keep them at around 40°F then if you get a frost warning you could quickly fetch them indoors again!

BTW

I have been looking at the pictures I added and they appear to be jumbled up is anyone else finding this?

I do this with stuff that is in my coldframe if I get a frost warning!

Tee Gee, thanks for your reply.

My plants are in 3inch pots within large trays so I could easily move them.  I do have some large bread trays but I may struggle carrying them. 

The house is a long way from the greenhouse but the summerhouse is nearer so I could transfer the plants to there if a frost is threatened. 

The summerhouse is well insulated with loft insulation between the concrete base and wooden floor. The doors are double glazed, so it never gets too cold in there.  It also has electricity so I could put in a thermostatic fan heater. 

What worries me is that I may miss a frost forecast or the weather forecasters get it wrong.  Rather than risking the greenhouse then, I may take a tray of peppers into the summerhouse and move the dining table so it is infront of the glass doors.  Whether my OH will allow me to do this is another question!   

My peppers and chillies are about ten inches to 1 ft high and look very healthy.  There are even buds showing now.  I don't normally have them as advanced as this until much later in the season but this year I started them off in a propogator and then moved them to my newly concocted light box. 

What sort of heater do you have in your greenhouse TeeGee? 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 10:38:04 »
What sort of heater do you have in your greenhouse TeeGee? 

This is more or less my set up, it has changed slightly since I wrote this page in the particular the heater which I had to replace in 2010.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Greenhouse%20heating/Greenhouse%20Heating.htm

My new one is a Parwin PE1 3kw fan heater and it has been brilliant, sadly I have heard that this company has since gone to the wall.

But the key to its efficiency is the thermostat I bought with it it is accurate down to +/- 1° where as most of the cheaper types are accurate to +/- 5°

I see 5° as too much  particularly if it is on the low side as the temperature could get down to below freezing before it kicks in, then it would be too late, similarly it could be heating the greenhouse when it does not need to!

I set my stat at 36°F (2-3°C) in Nov/Dec and it stays at that setting until February when I put it up to 40°F (4°C) this means I can keep my greenhouse frost free all winter quite cheaply.

You can see it below the hotbed in this picture:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal