Author Topic: Load of peaches...  (Read 2762 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Load of peaches...
« on: March 30, 2015, 14:14:25 »
...I think this is going to be year of the peach for me... :icon_cheers:
Peach tree in my GH is in full bloom...and since I haven't got round to replacing some glass panels that broke down during winter there is several big 'door ways' for bees to enter inside...and they've made most of it! I've never seen bees being so interested of peach flowers, perhaps it is because there is very little for them to forage in nature..it has been wet, cold and breezy? At least 'indoors' there is shelter, slightly warmer and drier so that the flowers will have some nectar and pollen available for harvest.

Usually I'm playing flower fairy 'games' with rabbit tail 'brush'...to get good pollination. I don't tend to do each and every flower but even then I normally end up thinning 2/3 of the marble size little developing fruits.
Now that I don't need to do any hand pollination and bees being so thorough with their job...I'm sure I'll be spending hours thinning in few weeks time....don't know if I should  :icon_cheers: or  :BangHead:
Either way...it feels like the spring  is in the air when the bees are out and about... :sunny: :toothy10:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 14:16:33 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Load of peaches...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 19:29:10 »
When I got round to take some photos...it wasn't sunny anymore nor there were any bees flying about..but the flowers were still there... :icon_cheers:

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 03:06:24 »
Your peach tree looks pretty good there goodlife. Maybe it should have been pruned so you don't have to fruit thin so much.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:46:40 »
Your peach tree looks pretty good there goodlife. Maybe it should have been pruned so you don't have to fruit thin so much.

Oh it is been pruned...at least twice a year. Two years ago I had to take half of the tree down because it is growing bit too well.
I might not do it 'by the book'...but I let the tree to flower freely, later on when the new growth is already on its way, 'thin out' and remove all the excess growt that is out of place and will compete too much...it will get rid of huge amount of immature fruit. Once all the chopping is done I go over the tree again taking out all excess 'marbles'. Fast forward month or so..the fruit is well on their way and so is the new green growth, which have to be pruned again for they will shade to fruit too much and usually the tree is VERY green and bushy...so 'snip snip' ...I'll leave the tree alone now for some time, letting it to grow the fruit to maturity....fast forward another month or two...the tree has put huge effort to grow again..and I shorten some of the new growth back to let other crops nearby have some room and light....after that I don't touch it again until following year when the circle start again.

It just is thug of the tree...and it must be in optimum place for such growth that it is putting on. Since it was planted..err, 15 yrs or so ago..it has had saw on it too..to remove whole limbs. It is supposed to be crafted into smaller root stock...but I'm not sure about it since it is not what I originally ordered...I ordered nectarine and label said so..and this one turned out to be peach..but one doesn't find out these things than much later on. But it is nice peach and very early one too so I cannot complain, it is nice to get fruit when most of the berries and other fruit and veg is not in full production yet :icon_cheers:
Just to show how much it grows...this one was taken first week of June! ...when it was already received haircut twice after flowering. Those fruit are just another few weeks off from being ready, after cropping the tree would be trimmed again for last time for that year.

Another reason why I have to keep being so brutal with it is that if I don't do keep hacking it down, the scale insect amongst it all will go riot. I can managed the 'scalies' but can't get rid...but managing is enough, I don't want to think of chemicals when I'm eating the fruit, freshly picked from the tree, sitting underneath, all the juices running down on my chin and while slurping away...eye on the next one that I will be tucking in.. :toothy10:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:11:12 »
Mmmm, those peaches look lovely, Goodlife.    :icon_thumleft:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 13:42:52 »
Lots of peach and nectarine blossom here too, the bumble bees were quite busy but just recently it has been so cold, wet and windy none have been venturing out.
Gorgeous looking peaches GL
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal