Author Topic: Earth temperatures for sowing  (Read 2969 times)

mormor

• Half Acre
Earth temperatures for sowing
« on: March 28, 2015, 16:23:00 »
Help required!
I have just bought a soil thermometer but now wonder about the correct temperatures for sowing.  Is about 8C right for everything? Or are f.ex. carrots, peas, potatoes different from each other?
near Copenhagen, Denmark

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Earth temperatures for sowing
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 20:34:18 »
Traditionally, you're supposed to plant when you can sit on the ground with your bare bum. I'm not sure what that is in centigrade. Some seeds are tougher than others; for instance, you can plant broad beans or round seeded peas long before you can plant wrinkled peas.

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 21:15:29 »
Some seeds are tougher than others

and so are some bums

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 12:44:43 »
Thanks, that’s really helpful.  I’ll print it out and keep it in the shed!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 21:22:08 »
Surely you know wen the soil is warm enough for seeds to germinate when WEED seeds start to grow. If we follow nature rather than books we should do well.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 13:14:09 »
I suppose you need to know which weeds germinate when.  I got some weeds already and my spinach has put in an appearance but the first carrots and lettuce are up.  I also have a few weed brassicas so presume I can get started with those as well.

I do think perhaps the thermometer takes the guess work out of it.  Never seen anyone trying the bum method!!   

It is interesting about the daily fluctuations for celery.  Some of the optimums seem surprisingly  high.  I suppose on a sunny day the temperatures suddenly shoot up.

The listing does rather reinforce my sowing practice, spinach outside, squashes on the radiator, beans on the windowsill etc.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 19:28:40 »

I do think perhaps the thermometer takes the guess work out of it.  Never seen anyone trying the bum method!!   

Brings a whole new reality to Bio-Dynamic planting. So is that why Rupert Steiner disciples want to plant at 03.00am?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal