Author Topic: Progress  (Read 2176 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Progress
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:14:36 »
Thought you might like to see how my stuff is progressing;

Hotbed:

Potatoes chitting;

Chrysanthemum cuttings:

Lobelia germinated:

Set Peas:

Onions & Leeks:

Tomatoes:

Geraniums.Tomatoes & Leeks

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
Re: Progress
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 13:12:02 »
Looks like a production line, excellent! :)

Any thoughts on sowing fine seed, like Lobellia, in small modules rather than a seed tray (and prick out)?

Ah ... penny drops ... perhaps you are just going to thin-out in each module?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 15:50:55 »
Ah ... penny drops ... perhaps you are just going to thin-out in each module?

Yes I can see where you were going!

That's the trouble with close up photography you quite often don't get a sense of scale.

The cells that the Lobelia are in are only ½" square so they are the same size as you would get if you sent off for plug plants.

That tray you see them in came from a batch of mini plug plants I bought years ago so if I have the time and space I grow my own Lobelia plants in it.

In fact much of my stuff is grown in cells (plugs) or small punnets so that I can save on compost and heated space at the germination stage.

Once germinated I transfer the seedlings into more suitable sized containers to grow on in until planting out time!

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 19:02:40 »
I find it a real faff pricking out tiddly seedlings like Lobelia.  I believe when I have bought some in the past that they were "clumps" of seedlings, so that is probably how the commercial boys do it too. At the time it annoyed me as I was buying the White flowering Lobellia, which always contain a few Blue ones.  I grow mine singly, take them to flowering size and chuck the odd blue one before planting, but the clumps I bought yielded at least one blue per clump and it wasn't until long after they were planted out that the flowers showed, and was then tricky to pull just the Blue ones out :(

I might have a go at clumps though for things that have very fine seed though. I too have some of those miniscule-cell module trays and they will be just the job.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal