Author Topic: Removing a Willow shrub  (Read 1655 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Removing a Willow shrub
« on: February 26, 2015, 18:05:28 »
I have just had to dig out a shrubby willow (Salix alba) that after about 12 years had got too big for its position, despite regular coppicing. I had mixed feelings about doing this as the stems always looked attractive with the sun on them in winter.

I have removed as much root as i can without disturbing nearby plants (including a new apple tree), however i am wondering if the remaining roots will regrow and spoil whatever i replace the willow with. I have been led to believe that willows can sucker like this. I did dig down well over a foot to dig out the main stump and did cut out all the roots that remained in the hole before i back filled. Would this be enough to stop regrowth/suckering, if this is going to happen at all?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
Re: Removing a Willow shrub
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 18:38:24 »
I think it may well sucker ... if you chop out the suckers as they appear it will weaken the remaining roots and eventually they will give up. "Eventually" depends on how substantial the roots are that are left in the ground; it might only be a few months this Summer, rather than "years" :D

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Removing a Willow shrub
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 09:28:12 »
One of the things I used to do when removing an unwanted shrub was to blast the hole with the flamethrower before refilling. Some jobs I never went back to so I do not know if it worked, but it seems to have worked at home with a lilac which was notorious for throwing out suckers.

If you do not have a flamethrower, have a bonfire in the hole with the rubbish you have just dug out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal