Author Topic: Gawar Beans  (Read 3088 times)

clumsy

• Half Acre
Gawar Beans
« on: February 24, 2015, 19:09:52 »
I'm thinking of growing gawar beans this year. I wondered if they will grow here in the uk? Anybody grown them on this forum? Any advice would be helpful.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Gawar Beans
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 19:18:58 »
I had to look for the name...never heard of it.. :drunken_smilie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guar
Reading at info for it....you might be lucky to grow it outside in UK...but I suspect you would need to have some sort of shelter for them to raise the soil temperature a bit.
Where did you get seeds from?

Anyway...I'll be most interested to hear you growing experience...do share you success (or not) ..it is good learning curve for us all!

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 21:09:45 »
goodlife my next door plotholder just come back from india and brought some seeds with him.
He wanted to see if we both can try and grow them here. I think I will start the seeds off around mid may and then plant them in the greenhouse with cucumbers. Thank you for the wiki link.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 09:10:19 »
If we have a summer like 1976 you will be ahead of the game.  They tolerate drought so not convinced they will like our cool damp summers.  I would suggest also trying the greenhouse border as well, inside may be too humid.

Seems guar is somehow used in the oil fraking process so the world price is rising.  People who use it instead of gluten might be pleased to be able to grow their own,

Good luck with your experiment.  Eagerly awaiting the results.  Even if you get a poor crop a few beans might do better the second year.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 17:55:51 »
People who use it instead of gluten might be pleased to be able to grow their own,

The concept of gluten-free doesn't sit well with my image of the band! - that's prejudice for you - sorry.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 19:09:33 »
The front two are the gawar beans that have come up so far.

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 19:12:38 »
Just an update. Planted some in the greenhouse soil they just stop growing. But the one's in the pots are well ahead and have flowers. I think next time I will just grow them in pot's.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:34:16 »
Well done  :toothy10:
Aren't the flowers pretty, bonus!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 15:10:37 »
The flowers are very pretty. Been reading about them on wiki seems they like a soil temperature of 30C which is not easy to achieve. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal