Author Topic: Bilberry Advice  (Read 6191 times)

rooty

• Not So New ...
Bilberry Advice
« on: February 24, 2015, 17:41:22 »
Hello All

Have decided to grow, and have got some Bilberry plants.  Three of them, they are in small three inch square pots. 

Am looking for a bit of advice about growing them.  Was planning to grow them outside (as opposed to the greenhouse).  Was planning to grow them in pots rather than the ground as they need acid soil.  What I thought I would do was re pot them in some JI arenaceous soil I have bought and then half sink them in the ground on my allotment, to prevent them blowing over, keep the root temp constant etc.  Is this a good idea?  Was also wondering if I should pot them up as they get bigger, or just put them in pots that are the correct size for mature plants straight away?  Am also not sure what size pots that would be?

Would be grateful for any replies to these questions and any other advice anybody could give on growing these plants.

Thanks for any replies  -  Rooty

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Bilberry Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 19:10:39 »
Hi there...

You can plant you bilberries to 'final size' containers..no problem. Only thing is that they don't make very deep root system, so big planters will take lot of compost and being expensive too, it will be wasted on them....so, if you don't fancy 'dropping' the planter(s) deeper into ground, should your container be deep, you can fill it with rocks or something else suitable/handy...making the container heavier and more stable. Bilberries tend to spread side ways more than they will grow roots downwards.  Ericaceous compost is ok...though compost level will shrink quite a lot in first year..and compost on its own is not ideal for long term...once it dry it will be tricky to water it again.
My bilberries and blueberry bushes are planted in mix made with ericaceous compost and/or peat, sand, grit, lime free top soil, composted bracken...leafmould...and with brown pine needles and cones...anything and everything that one would expect finding in soil in nature. Sand, grit and top soil are good as they give the compost more stability, prevent shrinkage and allow water to soak in better.
My plants spent their first year in smaller temporary containers, planted in plain ericaceous compost and it was hard work to keep them watered adequately...during that first year I kept collecting and getting huge amount all the various 'ingredients' together and once I had enough..I made mix and planted them in HUGE planter, which totally self supporting water wise...it has such a volume of 'soil' that it doesn't dry out in normal summer weather. In each spring I give my plants and bushes light dressing of general ericaceous fertilizer and what ever suitable mulching material I have in 'store'....and that's it! I made effort and ever since looking after the plants, part form spring dressing, rest of the year they are work free...just need to get the berries before bird do.. :happy7:

I hope you find some ideas from my 'ramblings'.. :angel11:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 20:45:38 »
you have a problem with ants if you sink the pots into the ground as for potting on i would move them up 2 pot sizes twice a year for the first year then pot them on to their final resting place hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

rooty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 22:19:41 »
Hi Again

Thanks for the replies, just what I was looking for.

Goodlife,  along with compost I have got some JI , not sure what it is, on the outside it says Loam, Peat and Grit.   I was thinking this would be the main growing medium, mixed with some compost.  You mention that the root system is not very deep, in your opinion, for one plant, what size container would you recommend.    Its in my mind to make a wooden "planter" or bespoke container.

Johhnyco,  had not given ants a thought.   My thoughts wrt half burying was to add a bit of stability to the environment of the plants.  How do you keep your plants, are they off the ground.

Very Best Wishes  -  Rooty

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:45:46 »
rooty....are you talking true bilberry plants...not blueberries? They both have same requirements with growing medim, but blueberry bushes do grow much larger plants and will eventually need much larger container. It is difficult to say about the container size...I would say go larger rather than smaller and as I already mentioned you can either use some 'material' to fill some excess space..say 1/3 ....OR...if you go much larger container, you could place bucket inside..filling it with bebbles/grit creating water reservoir ...like selfwatering pot. Any excess water will go into bucket ..and rest of can drain away from space between bucket and planter.
Some plant roots will find their way to more permanently moist gravel in bucket during dryer times and you don't have to worry about watering half as much as you would 'normally'.
Blueberry bushes do have slightly deeper root system than more creeping bilberry plants...but don't worry over this issue...planting them into plenty of depth is not issue for the plants...they do what they do, it is only costing you more in ingredients.

JI compost is not lime free...so it is not suitable. Most garden centres and DIY places sell bagged top soil, which is usually 'lime free'...I've bought mine from Wickes and Homebase and theirs is. Although it is not suitable on its own..it needs to be more acid side..mixing half and half with ericaceous will be good enough for bilberries and blueberries....or using peat and adding appropriate fertilizer (peat being very acid medium but it doesn't have any fertilizer)

rooty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:46:58 »
Once again thanks for that Goodlife

Yes they are Bilberries, bought from Victoriana which I found on the internet.  They seemed to be about the only place that seemed to sell these plants.   What set me off to grow these was I was reading some articles a month or so ago that mentioned Bilberries.  The thought hit me that when I was a child in the 60s, Bilberries were common and cheap, my mother, grandmother, aunties etc all made Bilberry pies etc (in season)  For some reason they seem to have gone out of fashion and I had completely forgotten about them, it must be nearly 50 yrs since I had any, so I thought I would grow some and once again have Bilberry pie, or perhaps crumble (easier).   I have also got some Blueberries, my Wilcos were selling two plants for £4 so I thought I would get a couple, as they seemed cheap to me, but its the Bilberries that really interest me.

The JI is Arenaceous John Innes, made by Levingtons.  It was bought as soil but now I have got it home and opened it, it looks more like a compacted compost.  Thanks for the info about lime free soil will keep my eyes open for some.  I did think that to make the soil more acid I could add a bit of iron sulphide, but not sure about that while it would add acidity the iron may not be v good for the plants, but that is well down the line.

Best Wishes  -  Rooty

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 12:09:36 »
If you blueberry bushes are in large containers and there is room..you could plant you bilberries amongst the blueberry bushes....they will occupy different canopy layers and providing they are growing in quite good light in first place , they should go fine together.
Though you might need to add good fresh compost layer first to give some energy for the new comers too.
But generally both species do like very similar soil conditions...nice open feel compost...not too heavy nor too light, hence grit and sand in mix will add good open structure.
Ah..Ericaceus JI..I didn't know they did such a thing..
Lime free soil with a added ericaceous compost or peat is just fine..it don't need anymore extra acidifying stuff adding..but for the interest..https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=82
Like I already mentioned...brown pine needles will help the soil acidity...and bark mulch is good too, though it has more of 'neutral effect', in time it will rot down and be good 'soil/compost' and with added effect from rain water, lack of acidity should not be issue.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 12:23:48 »
Yes they are Bilberries, bought from Victoriana which I found on the internet.  They seemed to be about the only place that seemed to sell these plants.   What set me off to grow these was I was reading some articles a month or so ago that mentioned Bilberries.  The thought hit me that when I was a child in the 60s, Bilberries were common and cheap, my mother, grandmother, aunties etc all made Bilberry pies etc (in season)  For some reason they seem to have gone out of fashion and I had completely forgotten about them, it must be nearly 50 yrs since I had any, so I thought I would grow some and once again have Bilberry pie, or perhaps crumble (easier). 

Bilberries are something I was brought up with back in Finland. Every year we would pick and freeze buckets full of them to be used through out the following year. Mmmm...mum's bilberry pie, still warm from cooking and washed down with glass of cold milk.... :icon_cheers: But there picking them is not that big effort...they are growing virtually every where...you see more bilberry twigs then you see dandelions :drunken_smilie: So when I've gone back for my holidays,  I've brought few twigs with me to grow over here. But now I've located few places fairly locally where they grow wild..not to get any plants from but to keep eye on the berries.
Seems like birds make use of them before I can.. :BangHead:
I've been planning to make few more planters and I started making my own 'acid' compost for them too...it has been 'cooking' and maturing now for a year and I'll be soon starting the mucky job of wheel barrowing it around.  :icon_cheers: It will take few years before the plants start producing anything...hopefully...but it is all good fun...and I have my older plants now established and started to yield little bit, though I'm relying more for my blueberries to produce the ingredients for the pie..YUM! :sunny:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:25:32 by goodlife »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 19:16:30 »
my plants stand on small pieces of paving on the decking outside my shed

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 23:20:35 »
Hey..they are looking good and are good size plants :icon_thumleft:
I don't photo of my planters...yet...but mine are in hot tub size planter..one that would fit 4 people sitting in, tough it is twice as deeper than hot tub. It has..hmm, maybe 6 or 7 blueberry bushes planted on it + some bilberries and lingonberries. It is old round glass fibre container which used to have very large tap...agricultural container of some sort?
Another smaller planter, glass fibre again, square and quite large..half a bath tub size (though again deeper), it has two blueberry bushes.
Both of my planters must have taken at least 3-4 cubic metres of 'compost'..they were killers to fill up.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 09:20:14 »
I have a friend who has several blueberry plants in pots,  Pots are about 15 inches across been there several years crop very well.  Don't forget no tap water if it is soft.  Need very careful netting birds adore them.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 16:33:05 »
my blueberry's are just starting to break bud looks like spring is on its way
 :blob7:

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 13:18:31 »
I have a friend who has several blueberry plants in pots,  Pots are about 15 inches across been there several years crop very well.  Don't forget no tap water if it is soft.  Need very careful netting birds adore them.
Don't you mean no tap water if it is NOT soft?

BTW what do Bilberries taste like?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 13:38:55 »
Code: [Select]
BTW what do Bilberries taste like?Quite like blueberries... if you haven't tasted bilberries before you could not tell difference. The berries themselves are MUCH smaller and softer..blueberries are like bilberries but on steroids, they are much 'meatier'. Bilberries soon 'mush up' and have to be eaten/used/stored quite soon after picking or you will have purple juice running all over the place.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 00:51:32 »
Sorry yes got my nots and softs muddled up.  No calcium in the water!!!  Even if you are on acid soil does not always follow that your tap water is as well.  While places like Birmingham source soft water from Wales.  Can become an issue in dry years if your rainwater butts run dry.   

We have well water on our lottie and you can almost stand a spoon up in it.  Lovely flavour but highly alkakine.   

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 18:11:58 »
just quick tip cut your compost with a 3rd sand Ericasious compost gets a bit claggy any sand will do but i use sharp hope this helps

rooty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 21:56:54 »
Thanks once again to all who replied  -  very informative.

The Bilberries and also some Blueberries have been potted up.  I used ericacus  JI  (turned out to be more like soil than I first thought) and eric compost, about 50/50.  I also bought some lime free top soil which I plan to use for the final potting up in whatever big pots I can find.  Thanks for the sharp sand info Johhnyco,   At the moment I seem to have plenty of potting material which has cost way more than the actual plants themselves  :-)

Very Best Wishes  -  Rooty

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 08:00:08 »
Sadly any compost is quite a cost and ericaceous even more.. :BangHead: But now on it doesn't have to be...

I make my own Ecompost..that I use topping up the levels on containers each spring. What I make this summer is ready to use next spring.. :happy7:
Most land owners are more than happy to allow one to harvest some bracken (but for your H&S..make sure the bracken is 'young' the little pimples underneath the leaves are still green)>>at home I spread it all on ground and run mower over to chop it all up>>into compost bin with layers or ('old') peat, grit, sand, grass clippings, shredded paper, chicken muck...anything and everything I can get hold of..and later on I might turn the heap over with addition some autumn leaves and leaving it all to mature until I need it.. :icon_thumleft:
Keep eye on shops who stock gardening stuff as a seasonal seller...last autumn I got several bags of ericaceous compost from Wilkos  for £1 each!! I've just used that lot by mixing it with my home made stuff..and it made lovely crumbly mulch. I'm sure my blue-,lingon- and bilberries will love it. That's it for them ....though when the flowering start, I might give well diluted liquid ericaceous feed..to make sure all the flowers have stamina to set for bumper crop...all the plants are now big enough to 'take it' so I'm going to 'push' them a little for maximum production  :angel11:
Lets hope the bees are up to their job too..

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 18:35:27 »
blueberrys just about to flower :blob7:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal