Author Topic: Xmas tree  (Read 2035 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Xmas tree
« on: February 18, 2015, 12:27:32 »
The sun is shining in Enfield, so have just planted my small Xmas tree outside in a tub, hopefully for next year.  It has roots and is tiny now, but bought it very cheap after Xmas.  The one I planted at the allotment has grown enormous, another mistake, so I couldn't bring it home.  I do love a good bargain, expect it will die, but who knows. Also 3 bunches of flowers for under a £1 in the reduced section and the tulips hadn't even opened so another bargain. Better sort through my seeds and get planting.  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Xmas tree
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 21:45:23 »
If the tree has been in a container indoors, and kept moist and not too hot, it will likely survive. In the "wild" they are generally grown on poor land, acid heath and clay. This translates to "tuff-love" at home! Good light, gentle shaping by shortening and just enough water should suit it fine. In a pot, you can turn it (clockwise) occasionally to equalise growth.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 17:52:15 »
I don't normally go for living Christmas trees for the house (they're like giant cut flowers to me) but for a few years now i have wanted to get a living/growing one for the garden, but could never get around to buying one (even tried growing from seed which failed miserably). This Christmas i managed to find a small root wrapped specimen being sold as gifts by my local Waitrose, so i decided to buy one and try growing it on. I got it home, potted it up and after a few days hardening off (it had been living indoors at the supermarket). I then just stood it outside the greenhouse in a sheltered spot and have basically left it alone to get on with it. Despite frost and cold winds its still looking very healthy. In time i plan to grow it in a large container and perhaps decorate it a bit for Christmas (with lights when it gets big enough). It definitely will NOT be going indoors.

Eventualy i suppose it will have to be planted out in the garden, but this doesn't matter since we already have several large (and elderly) pines in the garden so the Christmas tree will probably end up replacing one of them - and be more attractive!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 13:43:51 »
Xmas tree doing very well in tub in protected front garden. On new tablet as computer ill, not too sure about photos yet but it is fast, could cook dinner before old computer loads.one step at atime.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal