Author Topic: Malta  (Read 3009 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Malta
« on: February 15, 2015, 18:43:31 »
We're thinking of going to Malta the last week in March. Has anyone been and would you recommend it? We're not really beach bums but we're looking for somewhere warm and interesting!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Malta
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 19:50:20 »
I have not spent time in Malta but passed through it on my way to Gozo

I won a freebie weeks holiday to Gozo but was faced with all sorts of problems when I got there.

When I got to the hotel I found that I was covered for the room only, I had to pay for bed linen,gas,electric even the matches to light the gas!

Plus I had to pay for the ferry from Malta to Gozo (return)

Then of course there was my food & drink so in the end it did not turn out to be FREE!

But we were there so we decided to make the best of it and we had a very nice holiday the beaches were quite small but clean and not over crowded.

We were spoiled for choice of eating places (at reasonable prices)

The thing that stuck in my mind was the bus service!

The Bus station was in the centre of the island and the roads to all the other areas were like the wires on a dartboard!

To go to one place you would travel down that road to the place you were visiting then if you wanted to go somewhere else you come back to the bus station and took another bus and went down another wire (road)

In other words the only way to get to the next village was to walk along a coastal path then get the bus back to the centre.

If you did not fancy the walk then you would have to bus it back to the centre and get another bus out!

I found this mode of traveling quite entertaining.

There was quite a lot to see, the terrain was barren and quite rocky but picturesque ( As was our trip through Malta from the airport to the ferry)

Then there was the weather of course!

Because it was a small island it didn't seem to get uncomfortably hot like you would get on the mainland, the sea breezes took care of that!

So on the whole I enjoyed it!

Don't know what I would have done if I did not have my credit card with me.

I put this to the manager and he quite simplt said.........then you will have to go!

I think I would go back (under better circumstances of course) and perhaps do the island of Malta.

My mate and his wife went to Malta a few years on the trot and they seemed to like it.

So yes I think it you might find it a nice place to spend a holiday providing you are not out in the sticks,

The main town areas were quite modern and bustling!

I hope that helps!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 23:15:38 »
Lots of history on Malta.    Do a bit of research on the Knights of St John and the Crusades and their aftermath on Malta as well as the Second World War before you go then make sure you get a guided tour of one or the other or both.

We were there 21 years ago in October for a Belgian company "conference" because it was cheaper to go there at the end of the season than go to the Ardennes in the game season.    We were based near Valetta which is interesting and the Maltese buses certainly are a feature of island life.    It was OK but I wouldn't bother going back.

I wouldn't have thought sea temperatures would be inviting in March so the place won't be full of tourists.
Obxx - Vendée France

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 23:24:27 »
The old buses are no more! I was there a year ago!
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 14:11:48 »
It was a while ago but we went for our honeymoon - loved it. Stayed in Valetta (you can walk everywhere and lots to see) and tavelled around too. Will be going back in two years for tenth anniversary (will miss the buses though).
If you like history, lovely weather and atmosphere plus great food go for it!
CLx

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 15:01:46 »
I went in February about 20 years ago and I remember the buses too.  The cars were in
even worse condition than my Micra and that's saying something.  Someone told us that
the locals have a decent car for 'Sunday best' and old bangers for the rest of the time.
Some of the cars had hinges like we would use on a garden shed. 

It is a very interesting place and many of the locals speak English. 

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 07:27:53 »
I went there way back in the 60s but as I was in the navy then you would not really be interested in the places I went for entertainment. My Brother was also posted there in the army, married a local girl and lived there the rest of his life.

My parents used to shut up their house here and rent somewhere in Malta for the winter months as it was cheaper than heating their home here. With the warmer winter climate, the cheap rent and food bills, they saved a fortune.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 09:00:53 »
Code: [Select]
I went there way back in the 60s but as I was in the navy then you would not really be interested in the places I went for entertainment.
You never know with Caroline...she might want to explore the island very thoroughly... :tongue3:  (I'll disappear while I can....couldn't resist poking my nose to it) :angel12:

In a another note...I haven't been there myself...but mother-In-law did go few years ago, and she is definitely not beach goer. She is one who is always exploring and did speak highly of the place..plenty to see, though she is shopaholic too....or should I say, one that likes to 'explore her possibilities for such a opportunities without necessary ending buying anything'...and if you are big shopper, from her experience, it might be bit limited what you can find there. Like I said..I don't personally know it, but that was the impression I got...

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 18:10:32 »
Thanks for the comments, glad to see they are mostly positive! It's booked now - staying on the island of Gozo but we'll certainly visit Valletta . It'll be nice to be able to get everywhere by walking or public transport and not having to hire a car. Flights from Leeds-Bradford too, so no long drive at both ends. Can't wait! :happy7:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 18:33:57 »
Just back from our holiday on Gozo- a gardener's paradise! Beautiful wildflowers everywhere at this time of year, orange and lemon trees, olives, carob, figs, and loads of broad beans and potatoes among others. We had some lovely sunshine and  lovely coastal walks. The buses are now run by Arriva and amazingly cheap- 6.50 euros for a 7-day ticket for the whole island(less than a return to York from Tadcaster!) but the roads are still full of potholes! Stayed on Gozo all week apart from one day in Valletta.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 19:17:38 »
I went there about three years ago just after the new buses arrived.  I thought the bus services were excellent.  I went in February and it was colder and windier than I expected.

I stayed in the centre of Valletta. I found it very interesting.  Lots to see.  People speak English with an English accent.  I thought much of it was rather like England circa 1964.   I also enjoyed walking, some of the wild flowers were stunning.  Went all over the island by bus.

Felt very safe there.  Shopping not very good.  Though I did find a Lidl.  Hope you have a good holiday.  Food was a bit iffy, school dinner circa 1964.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal