Author Topic: NEONICOTINOID INSECTICIDES  (Read 3759 times)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
NEONICOTINOID INSECTICIDES
« on: February 06, 2015, 20:40:14 »
Research at Universities of Dundee and St Andrews confirms that low levels of neonicotinoid insecticides found in the nectar and pollen of plants, causes impairment of bumblebee's brain cells and poor performance by bee colonies.
How long will it be before the British Government accepts the mounting evidence that neonicotinoid insecticides should be permanently banned if we wish to keep our pollinating insects??
You can help by not buying any pesticides containing neonicotinoids.
 :BangHead:
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
Re: NEONICOTINOID INSECTICIDES
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 15:36:31 »
I would go further than that and not buy any pesticides at all. We nearly always don't know what harm we do until it is too late.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 15:45:30 »
Only thing I use is organic slug pellets. The birds and beneficial insects seem to take care of everything else...

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 16:44:00 »
Me too.  Just organic slug pellets and lots of bird food so they hoover up the pests to feed to their young.  Might net my broccoli this year though as Possum always seems to get the bit of protein I missed when washing it.
Obxx - Vendée France

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 17:45:23 »
Only thing I use insecticides on is for Lily Beetle, as I can never keep on top of them, but I stop a fortnight before the Lilies flower in the hope that the chemical has dispersed enough before there is pollen for the Bees to collect.

Enviromesh takes care of most of the insects that would bother me on my crops.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 12:28:25 »
Hi Ya, hope this works  try this link

Neonic Petition please sign

http://action.storyofstuff.org/sign/bayer-neonics-birds-bees

willconsult69

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 10:38:25 »
It is even worse. The Bees take back nectar which is polluted with insecticide at 1 part per million, which they then evaporate down to 1 part in 250,000 to make honey. This now lethal dose is fed to the bee larvae which kills them some 4 to 6 weeks after the spraying of the insecticide.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal