Author Topic: Potato fertiliser- is it worth it?  (Read 2959 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Potato fertiliser- is it worth it?
« on: February 01, 2015, 17:13:09 »
Just about to order some seed potatoes from JBA and was wondering whether to splash out on some potato fertiliser. Is it worth it or would anything else do the same?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Potato fertiliser- is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 17:50:30 »
I have wondered many times same thing and although we have some in sale in our lottie shop I've never bought any. I use chicken pellets, BFB meal and grass clippings to feed my spuds and what ever spare comfrey I have as well, it has always been enough. I already have all those 'in' so buying even more stuff that essentially provide same things does feel wasteful.
I've got feeling that potato feed is quite similar to growmore (maybe I need to check that...!)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 17:54:24 by goodlife »

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 19:56:48 »
I've bought 1kg boxes of Vitax type organic potato fertiliser from Poundland, so cheap enough, but GL is right: when you look at the weight and NPK ratio, growmore is a good product and good value too, better than chicken pellets (which I also buy, more money than sense as my mother would say).

:tongue3:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 20:05:45 »
Well if I can get it from poundland I certainly won't buy it now! Thanks for the replies.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 23:26:37 »
As a fisherman I enjoy the catch, but, if there is loose weed on the beach that has been washed up I always take a few bags of
weed and let it ferment for a few weeks,once the spud plants are established I mix the seaweed with seasoned compost and liberally
wrap it around the spud plants and water it in,I don't tend to use neat weed as I was told the salt content can burn the tender
potato shoots.

Visits to Jersey and Guernsey seeing there potato harvest with the same treatment convinced me that using the same method
on our plot was worth it,ive used it since weve moved down here to Dorset and have to say we are pleased with the
crop and will continue to use the free offerings from the beach.

Gazza

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 09:32:27 »
I've bought the fertiliser from JBA, but I only use it in my container/bag grown early spuds.  Not looked elsewhere/cheaper for it, did the convenience and instant-gratification thingie instead!

Flint_sifter

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 12:41:25 »
We've used Chase in the past but ran out last year; I tried adding Sulpate of Potash and Epsom salts when watering the plants -they seemed to like it.  As the soil is quite alkaline I'll be working the former in when I dig the plot over before planting.

Simon.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal