Author Topic: wooden seed trays  (Read 8825 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
wooden seed trays
« on: January 28, 2015, 20:25:15 »
How many still use wooden seed trays? I like them. Probably not as practical as plastic but more attractive. I have acquired some wood and will start making some tomorrow, ready for the spring.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
Re: wooden seed trays
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 09:59:28 »
I like the idea of wooden seed trays,and remember them from my youth, but easily washable, stacking, uniform size, thin-sided space-saving trays are where I'm at now :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 10:22:15 »
I haven't seen wood ones for quite some time, brings back good memories of helping my gran when I was younger. Good luck with making your own, have you made some before?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 14:04:27 »
Presume they retain water to some extend. 

Do remember them from my youth.  My MIL had some.  But she never really got beyond 1945.  She always behaved as if rationing was still going strong even 40 years later.   

But I am also now into plastic.  As others say easier to wash and last longer.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 15:52:34 »
I haven't seen wood ones for quite some time, brings back good memories of helping my gran when I was younger. Good luck with making your own, have you made some before?

First attempt! Made two today. Turned out okay!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 18:24:09 »
I would use wooden ones as a decorative feature in my allotment but it's plastic for me. Plastic is so hygienic, long lasting and stack easily.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 19:11:49 »
You are right. Of course plastic is more hygienic, provided they are cleaned regularly (not everyone does that). The virtues of wood are strength and warmth but I am being romantic, as usual, longing for the days when all equipment was made better and looked better. I will have to throw away my "Adam the Gardener" picture book!  :nono:

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 09:29:56 »
Well done on your homemade trays.
Just one comment the original ones had a 1/4 inch gap from the sides and in the middle to allow for drainage... at least I assume that was what the gap was for and not saving timber in those days.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 10:30:30 »
Well done on your homemade trays.
Just one comment the original ones had a 1/4 inch gap from the sides and in the middle to allow for drainage... at least I assume that was what the gap was for and not saving timber in those days.

Thanks Davey. Yeah, I thought about that but just drilled some holes instead. I think they used to put broken pot chippings over the gaps to stop leaching.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 12:28:02 »
They look good! :icon_cheers: Have they got 'loose' bottoms...can you lift them up through the fame with soil on?

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 12:59:57 »
Are you tempted goodlife?!  :wave:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 15:21:16 »
They do look good, well done  :sunny:

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 16:10:22 »
They look good! :icon_cheers: Have they got 'loose' bottoms...can you lift them up through the fame with soil on?
Thanks Goodlife. Yes, I left the bottoms loose which hopefully means the whole lot can be pushed out when ready for transplanting. I didn't think of that at the time; just thought they would be easier to clean if bottoms loose. My mentor, Adam the Gardener, used to take a short side off to give access; don't know how.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 16:12:22 »
They do look good, well done  :sunny:

Thanks Jayb  :wave:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 16:56:24 »
Are you tempted goodlife?!  :wave:

I'm always tempted with anything 'home made'...though I have to store this idea deep into my brain and get it out one 'rainy day' when there is nothing better to do  :drunken_smilie: I admit, I don't use much seed trays and I do have rather good collection/stash of various size of plastic ones. But I love the idea of wooden ones..

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 17:37:08 »
There is something wholesome and touchy feely about them, don't get me wrong I wouldn't be without the plackie ones I have. But when you look at those in plotstoeat picture...

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 14:01:08 »
My mentor, Adam the Gardener, used to take a short side off to give access

That's an interesting idea, wonder if I can replicate it for the 1/4 sized plastic trays I use ...  levering out the first row of seedlings is always the bit most likely to cause damage, thereafter I can get "under" the rest, or even extricate the whole of the rest of the soil & seedlings "whole" to then dissect on the potting bench :)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 11:48:37 »
When I first started back in the 40.s all the seed trays were wooden ex  fish boxes and we learn the art of tabooing them on the end and then "throwing" the whole lot out ready to plant

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 19:25:01 »
When I first started back in the 40.s all the seed trays were wooden ex  fish boxes and we learn the art of tabooing them on the end and then "throwing" the whole lot out ready to plant

Laurie, I have never heard of that: could you tell us more please?

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 12:13:11 »
Hi Ya, on a rainy day I make my own wooden trays out of pallets. I make them to fit a standard seed tray inside. So really the best of both. My reasoning behind this is I have had a few mishaps with plastic trays full of compost and their tendency to flex. I have picked them up only for them to split of spill the contents. I never seem to be in the correct orientation to pick them up two handed when I want them. Also if that size I can fit half trays etc plus a cover. If they break or rot it's only pallet wood and easy to get. Happy Gardening

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal