Author Topic: Open Gardens Weekend  (Read 3345 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Open Gardens Weekend
« on: January 28, 2015, 14:03:01 »
Instead of our annual fete this year, our village is going to hold an Open Gardens Weekend.  About a dozen gardens will be opened to the public with the fund raising stalls, raffles, teas etc. in various locations.  A £5 entry fee will give access to all the gardens.

I am questioning the fact that someone is arranging to have tickets printed for the event.  Now my view is that this would be a waste of money and that a sticker such as they have at Hilliers and other gardens which are open to the public, would be far less costly.  It would also show at a glance if a person has paid when they enter each garden.   

We have never held such an event in our village before so everything is new to us.  I just wondered if anyone on here has had experience of an Open Gardens either with their own village holding one or by visiting one in another village.  If so, any tips that you can give would be much appreciated. 

small

• Hectare
Re: Open Gardens Weekend
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 15:15:30 »
I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're after but in our village they do a map showing the location of the numbered gardens, with a bit of detail on showing any particular attraction (and which gardens are doing teas as well, that sort of thing), so the map is the entry ticket, if you see what I mean? I suppose when it's really busy, then people might be able to slip by without the map, but as far as I can see no-one does.....although we don't open our garden, we always get a few folk wandering down the drive in hope, people do tend to treat the occasion as open village rather than just gardens. Hope it's a success, anyway, fingers crossed for good weather.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 16:47:33 »
I do love open garden events.  The gardeners are usually around and more than willing to share experiences.  Most do supply a map.  Normally some good person has been willing to print them off at home.  They are normally in aid of something, so someone is prepared to give them free.

I hope your event is a success.   

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 18:26:31 »
Sunday 28 June from 2pm to 6pm
Selected gardens open to visitors throughout HGS in aid of the NL Hospice and the Horticultural Society (to help fund future projects). Plants for sale and teas available at Fellowship House, Willifield Way, NW11. Tickets @ £10 (children free) will be sold on the day at Fellowship House (not at individual gardens), and maps will be provided to help you plan your best route. No parking restrictions on Sundays and the H2 bus can help you get round gardens on or near its route.

this is the info on our local open gardens - you get a ticket and a map the map is just a photocopy with a suggested route.

hope that helps
Nora
Norf London

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 20:49:44 »
Thank you all for your replies. 

A map would be useful although everything will be marked up.  Maybe a map and a sticker could be given when people pay their entrance fees.  We are to have two ticket stalls in the village, one by the field for car parking and the other one will probably be at the top of the village. 

We are only a small village with 65 households and all but one of the gardens has an entrance off the High Street.  The money that is raised will be split between the Church and the Reading Room which is, in effect, a small village hall.  The upkeep of these buildings is quite costly.  The church had its lead stolen and that cost thousands of pounds so fund raising was in full swing then.  The reading room was a tiny cottage donated to the village many years ago.  Since we moved here 17 years ago, it has had to be repointed, replastered, redecorated and given a new thatched roof.  It now has heating installed too.  We have also raised money for a defibrillator after one of the residents died of a heart attack before the ambulance got here.  He was only 45.   

The only problem I can see is that those people that are tied up showing people around their gardens or helping with stalls, teas, tickets etc., will not get a chance to see the other gardens.  I have suggested that they pay their £5 entry and get a tour of the gardens on the Friday evening.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 20:52:58 by Paulines7 »

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 10:36:59 »
The problem with tickets and programmes is that you find that families turn up and just buy one program when really, you want them to purchase at least 2 tickets (one for each adult if children go free).  You have to do some clear thinking about this and, on the day, be quite firm.  Perhaps you could do a family pass for £10? 

So your stickers idea is best.  You can see people coming in to each garden wearing their "ticket" and you can see if they've not paid.

If you want to advertise outside the community and do plant sales as well as teas, you could do very well.  I've been to a few single gardens opened where they've charge £2 to come in, had a plant sale, done tea and sandwiches and ended up with a 4 figure sum for their charity.  Good luck.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 11:21:35 »
I have a friend who opens his garden for a 2-day weekend, charges £1 entrance (I think, might be £2), has Teas and Plants (his wife raises thousands, or seems like it!, and other villagers help), and he raises several £thousand each time. His open-weekend is the same one, each year, so returning folk know when to expect it.

He then takes all the takings and makes a single, personal, donation to his charity with the appropriate UK Gift Tax :)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 13:57:15 »
And yes, doing it over 2 days is definitely better, if you can.  Then, if the weather is rubbish one day, you have a second chance the other day.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 10:58:06 »
He then takes all the takings and makes a single, personal, donation to his charity with the appropriate UK Gift Tax

I am not sure this is ok within the rules of gift aid.  Basically he may need to declare the income for tax in the first place.  If he is below tax level it would not be taxable but then you cannot do gift aid either.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 14:03:35 »
I am not sure this is ok within the rules of gift aid

I'm sure you are right - sorry should have pointed that out in my original in case people took my comment verbatim.

His view is that getting every single visitor to fill out a gift aid chitty was unworkable, so he'd just process the money in the spirit of the system instead.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 12:59:56 »
The tickets have been sorted now by one of the committee members.  They will have a map on them and will be printed by one of the villagers who runs her own printing company.

I will be sorting out the insurance so if anyone knows of any companies that their village has used for similar events, I would be pleased to have details.  I have a form from the company that do the insurance for the National Garden Scheme but need to get several estimates. 

It seems that we will need a Health and Safety risk assessment done so if anyone has had any experience of doing one, I would be very grateful for any tips regarding layout etc.

Your help in this matter is much appreciated.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal