Author Topic: B****r it!  (Read 1905 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
B****r it!
« on: January 27, 2015, 14:17:51 »
Not only are my spuds (stored in the porch - one of the perils of an upstairs flat) starting to sprout, but one potato in each of two bags has gone spectacularly rotten, and eaten a black nasty hole in my nice hessian potato sacks.

What's really weird, though, is that the rotten spud has then dessicated, and although it's eaten a hole in the bag, it's hardly affected the potatoes in contact with it. Don't get that!

Annoyingly, I didn't think to take a photo of the affected spuds - I'll check the council food waste bin tonight, see if they're still in there.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: B****r it!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 14:57:35 »
Its quite possibly these two potatoes may have been damaged or diseased prior to packing, it can happen.

The most worrying thing about this is what caused the problem?

Was it, Blight, Blackleg, Frost or just mechanical damage?

The good thing is you found out early enough to do something about it so that has to be some consolation.

gray1720

• Hectare
Re: B****r it!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 16:09:59 »
That's very true, TeeGee! I was rummaging last night looking for bakers, and found what I thought was a nice one - only to realise one side flexed! There was a slug hole hidden by dirt and, in fact, a third of the spud was unusable owing to the wanderings of said slug. So it doesn't take a lot to miss a damaged one.

Could have been blight, I did have some, shouldn't be frost as so few were affected, as for the others who knows now?

Adrian

My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal