Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle 2015 and growing progress  (Read 144909 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Seed Sharing Circle 2015
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2015, 08:33:35 »
I've had a reply from HSL .... The description is that of Vincent....but their source was from John Yeoman -The Village Guild- when it wound up in 2005 and called Vince. They stand by Vince , so when I label these for the circle I will put Vince its stage name and Vincent in brackets does this sound okay? It is an interesting tom. Hope I haven't confused too much!
Good plan MR.

If it is originally from John Yeoman that's easily checked.  I will contact him and see what light he can shed on the situation.   :sunny:

PS: email sent to John.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:58:50 by galina »

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2015, 09:05:13 »
A seedy mystery ! The plot thickens. Thanks for taking the trouble Galina and to Jeannine our overseas connection.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2015, 17:25:02 »
You are welcome.

Mr Yeoman has replied:

I can't remember where I got Vince. It might well have been the US Seed Sharers' catalog. As I recall, the Vince tomato I grew was indistinguishable from an elongated yellow pepper, both externally and internally. The pictures at http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Vincent come close to it. However, the picture here bears little resemblance.:

TOMATE JAUNE SAINT VINCENT AB at http://www.fermedesaintemarthe.com/A-1497-tomate-jaune-saint-vincent-ab.aspx

So my Vince might well be a new strain.

Feel free to add my comment at A4A. (I think I have to register to comment).

eoq

Doesn't really help us much further, but to stay with 'Vince' as the variety as you have planned would seem the right thing to do (and with Vincent? in brackets).   :wave:

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #163 on: October 09, 2015, 23:15:00 »
curiouser and curiouser!

Will be very interesting to grow.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2015, 10:21:44 »
Interesting Mr Yeoman says Tatiana's picture comes close to the variety he grew and shared.

Agree with the name Vince too, looking forward to these.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #165 on: October 10, 2015, 10:24:33 »
I'm just drying some Delicious tomato seeds, the fruits are red, large, prolific and well delicious!

Might be one for the circle.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2015, 09:01:05 »
Many thanks Galina, that is as far as we can go, so I guess it's down to growing it and comparing notes next summer. Cheers all.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2015, 13:44:12 »
I have also just processed some tomato seeds.  Sosulka Oranzhevaya, aka Orange Icicle, a spindle shaped tomato from the Ukraine.  Admittedly the shape is not quite identical to black and pink icicle which we had in the seed circle earlier, but the flavour is all there.  I have grown them both in the greenhouse and outside.  Pity they are not an exact match in shape, but oh so good.   :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2015, 21:43:31 »
A quick comment regarding tomatoes from the seed circle.  Amish Plum is fabulous (greenhouse), Green Pear grows like crazy outdoors, and has very pretty fruits, but they taste 'mild', not spicy like other green when ripe tomatoes.  Helsing Junction Blue is absolutely wonderful.  They were quite late, but I had them outside in the garden.  They must have ripened quite slowly and gathered up a lot of flavour.  They are still almost fully black with a tiny bit of orangey red when they are ripe.  The plants are so strong, like the Green Pear, they ended up as multiple stems.  And they taste so good, a real winner and worth waiting for.  Haven't grown a lot of the circle varieties this year because I had lots of mine that needed a seed renew, but looking forward to it.   :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2015, 06:52:36 »
Totally agree about Amish Plum it's  a corker  :icon_cheers:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2015, 18:45:33 »
I'm just drying some Delicious tomato seeds, the fruits are red, large, prolific and well delicious!

That's one that can grow to 5 pounds or more, well not perhaps here, but they had some impressive sizes in the USA.  One tomato sliced up will fill a whole bowl for tomato salad   :icon_cheers:       :wave:

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2015, 18:11:29 »
Hi Jayb , Your inbox is full so you wont have got my message ...Did my little parcel  with the Amish Onion bulbils and other bits arrive to you safely ? Worried as I haven't heard from you . .. this was for a swap for a potato onion or two ? Can you let me know it's arrived.. if they didn't survive the journey , dont worry , I can always send you a few more .  :coffee2: Debbie
Trespassers will be composted !

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2015, 17:26:53 »
Flat White seeds are drying. I think I cracked it a bit early (see the green rim to the rind) but it had been stored in the warm for a month after the plant died. So there weren't a huge number of ripe seeds.

It is delicious - tastes like smooth sweet potato.

Am leaving the Geraumon Martinique squash for another 3 weeks, but Royal Black chillies are out, the plant got botrytis and many aphids. I do have enough white-seeded Lazy Housewife beans though. Plus a lovely hot chilli £land was selling as a habanero but I think is something different. :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2015, 23:47:09 »
Those slices look mouthwatering Sparrow.  Pity there weren't a lot of seeds in the Flat White Boer.  But a couple would be very nice indeed.  Pepper looks good too.   :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2015, 10:02:21 »
Those slices look mouthwatering Sparrow.  Pity there weren't a lot of seeds in the Flat White Boer.  But a couple would be very nice indeed.  Pepper looks good too.   :wave:

Forgot to say, if you wanted to share Potimarrons again too, they are such a useful squash and would be very welcome also.  Squash seeds kept dry and not too hot last for 5 years and sometimes longer, any grown in 2014 would still be viable for a few years to come.  Off to look up Geraumon Martinique. :-)

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2015, 15:50:38 »
I thought since they were in from me last year it would be v dull to have them again, and year-old seed at that.

The beans from last year's circle have been fab, i have a huge tray of Cara beans drying, and Cousin Oliver were prolific too.  :toothy10:

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2015, 19:47:37 »
Geraumon Martinique seeds are drying now too. It's a lovely smooth squash, with a very good flavour - sweeter than the Flat White.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #177 on: December 16, 2015, 11:46:37 »
Morning JayB,
My seeds are all ready - when do you want them and how many packets? :)

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2015, 17:42:23 »
Same question as sparrow wenn do you want the seeds send to you jayb???

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2015, 06:39:19 »
Same question as sparrow wenn do you want the seeds send to you jayb???

I haven't spoken to Jayb in a week or so and hope she is well, just very busy - it's the time of year ;-)  Hope she will soon be telling us when she is planning the share-out.  Perhaps in January when the festivities have ended and the post office has dealt with the backlog is a good time for everybody?

But what we could do in the meantime is determine who is in, which is a good idea because then we know how many individual packets are needed for our contribution.

Starting the count:

Sparrow
Ruud
Galina

There are several more.  Looking forward to hearing from the others.  And perhaps a peek preview of varieties that will be shared?  This seed circle is such a highlight of the gardening calendar every year.  And we are enjoying eating some outstanding fruit and veg because of great seeds that have been saved in this circle.  Can't wait for this year's treasures.  :wave:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:48:03 by galina »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal