Author Topic: Looking for a mobile phone for my Dad  (Read 2629 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Looking for a mobile phone for my Dad
« on: January 25, 2015, 16:53:58 »
Can anyone recommend a simple mobile phone for my Dad. He's 87 and a bit shaky and he only wants it for calls, so something easy to hold, easy to see and easy to use (big keys). I've seen the TTfone Mercury 2 which looks good but wondered if anyone here has used or bought that one or a similar one?

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Looking for a mobile phone for my Dad
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 18:38:05 »
Interesting that!
I'm a dad and an old fart to boot. Never had a mobile phone and never had the need to buy one. However, my wife has one which was made in the middle ages and recently let us down in Heathrow airport FCS.
On our return home, I saw an advert for an 'EE' pay as you go jobbie @ half price. Went in and bought it.
Still working out how it works but the missus has taken it over anyway so my life is peaceful again. I understand your need for a phone for emergency use. Good luck!!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 19:06:23 »
Have a look at doro senior phones

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 18:26:23 »
Have a look at doro senior phones

Yers, they came up on Google too and look good. My Dad is in a care home and although he could use their landline he wants to be able to phone friends and family as and when he wants without having to ask for it.

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 21:26:53 »
Do have a look at the Doro range of phones. They have excellent sound quality, and work well with the t-coils of hearing aids. Add to that large buttons, display text that can be made large, and pre-set buttons to dial popular numbers.Simple to use with a little practise. You can even remove the functions that are unwanted on some models, to make their use even simpler.
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 07:30:44 »
I think it would depend on your dad.   Does he use a computer.

I really liked the simplicity of a clam phone which you just open to receive called.  The Razr V9 are good you can sometimes get good recon ones cheaply. 

Amazon have the Samsung E1270 clam cheap at the moment.  They are very easy to use.

However I now really love my smart phone.   My other half really struggled to start with.   
He has had a stroke so learning things is very hard.  He moaned and moaned about it.  But yesterday he was trying to sell one to his brother!   He likes being able to get bus timetables and show people pictures. And now he has got into Skype.  I really like having a good alarm.  I use something called Life Reminders so I never forget an appointment.   

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 11:53:08 »
Talktalk have some very cheap sim deals at the moment, not sure that pay as you go can beat them.  £3.75 for 250 mins and 250 text. I found pay as you go very expensive.  I  used up £10 in no time at all.

Not sure that the cheap Samsung answers the phone when you open it.  But I had its older brother and it was a great little phone.  Very small slips easily into any pocket.  Now uses a USB charger.  EU rules, sometimes the EU get it right. :icon_cheers:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal