Author Topic: Oca - does size matter?  (Read 2112 times)

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
Oca - does size matter?
« on: January 25, 2015, 02:07:29 »
What the questions says really - I've just taken up my first ever oca harvest. Should I save some of the larger tubers for replanting, so I get more large tubers next year, or does tuber size not impact on the eventual yield?

Yesterday I got 2.6kg from 4 and a bit plants, the and a bit are tubers I didn't spot when taking up 2 other plants. They were planted out in July and the original tubers were titchy (1cm x 1,5cm).

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
Re: Oca - does size matter?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 08:59:53 »
A larger tuber will have more reserves to grow away in poor conditions or after rabbit damage in Spring, and a very small tuber may dry out more quickly if they are badly stored over winter, but being clones it's probably fine to grow from middle sized tubers, and eat the biggest. However, as you imply, tubers from adjoining plants can get mixed up in the soil, so growing from the largest tubers does have the advantage of absolutely ensuring that you are propagating from plants that make big tubers.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:42:41 »
Thanks very much Ian. Was hoping you'd see this!

Will save some of the larger ones to replant this year. I'd love to have fewer but larger tubers, I had a lot of tiddlers, though they will be great sprinkled on a salad.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 15:21:58 »
First season - small but worthwhile - will grow again.

Tim

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 19:45:43 »
I've definitely seen small 6-8mm tubers produce useful 20-30mm tubers - just a lot less of them.

Generally I have no shortage of medium tubers - but I always keep a batch of tinies in a damp sealed plastic bag in a cool place until I'm sure I don't need them. But if they get warm they are a nightmare - so many shoots and roots they are impossible to separate.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal