Author Topic: Culinary Dandelions  (Read 5659 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Culinary Dandelions
« on: January 23, 2015, 23:14:47 »
What's the best time to plant these? Who's grown them? I'll probably have more queries about seeds from the parcels, but I'll start here!

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
Re: Culinary Dandelions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 15:16:11 »
How different are they from their wild counterparts? Am really interested in them as I grow Italian leaf chicory and this sounds like a handy addition.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 19:10:12 »
I don't know yet. Ask me at the end of the growing season. Being perennial, I wouldn't be too surprised if they take longer than that to get to full size.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 09:54:17 »
I'm not sure they are different from wild ones, just some plants produce a better edible crop and I think I came across  'they self pollinate' so offspring is more like a clone of the parent?
I'd start a few now, if they are anything like the ones in my garden they will germinate just as soon as the temperature is warm enough for them.
I might try a few in the poly-tunnel, I've an area that doesn't get full sun and they should do well there. I think some people can taste the 'bitter' more than others which might account for why some people love them while others can't get past the bitter taste. Blanching the leaves might work well for tenderness and reducing bitterness. 
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 17:22:42 »
Ah, those are mine. I think they came originally from Franchi seed, and are supposed to have thicker fleshier leaves than 'wild' dandelions. I found they were quite slow to get established, but eventually formed good big plants, but that's probably down to being given space and lack of competition from weeds (!)

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 19:43:08 »
Jayb, Italians boil leaf chicory for 5-10 mins with salt to reduce the bitterness. I bet the same would work with the dandelions.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 00:18:36 »
I'm going to try these. Even if I don't like them, my rabbit will happily eat them! ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:38:42 »
It is not just me then who got excited about dandelions... :icon_cheers: :laughing7:
I was thinking that my chickens will eat them if I don't..

What is going to be in parcel next year......nettles?  :laughing7:...I have seen those being sold in packet and wondered about them... :drunken_smilie: But since I got enough nettles for my needs, I don't fancy getting anymore...

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 11:49:08 »
I used to know a botanist who was the national expert on dandelions. He told me that there were over 300 varieties. The name comes from French "dents de lion" translated as lion's teeth, as the shape of the petals. Useless information but hopefully of interest  :happy7:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 12:24:58 »
I used to know a botanist who was the national expert on dandelions. He told me that there were over 300 varieties. The name comes from French "dents de lion" translated as lion's teeth, as the shape of the petals. Useless information but hopefully of interest  :happy7:

Interesting..
I've often looked at dandelion leaves and noticed how much difference there is in their growth...leaves vary a lot....but I didn't realize there would be quite that many varieties.. :drunken_smilie: Hmm...that would be something interesting to research in my 'spare' time...

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 13:41:22 »

[/quote]
Interesting..
I've often looked at dandelion leaves and noticed how much difference there is in their growth...leaves vary a lot....but I didn't realize there would be quite that many varieties.. :drunken_smilie: Hmm...that would be something interesting to research in my 'spare' time...
[/quote]

This is his book if you feel inclined to research :

Richards, A.J. (1997). Dandelions of Great Britain and Ireland (Handbooks for Field Identification). BSBI Publications. p. 330. ISBN 978-0-901158-25-3.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 14:19:36 »
This is his book if you feel inclined to research :

:icon_thumleft:

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 19:02:02 »
according to Eden Wild Food @edenwildfood young smaller leaves are best preferably before flowering. Can also blanche them to remove some bitterness

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 09:10:51 »
according to Eden Wild Food @edenwildfood young smaller leaves are best preferably before flowering. Can also blanche them to remove some bitterness

They can be blanched by tying (once they are large plants) or the leaves can be cut and left in a sink of cold water for the bitterness to leach out like endive lettuce that is a bit bitter.  I have tried it with wild dandys and wasn't impressed, looking forward to trying the cultivated ones.  Carol Deppe raves about them in her seedsaving book. 

With nettle tops and the fresh green leaves from scorzonera this is certainly a very underused spring green.   

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 17:37:20 »
I occasionally select a few strong wild dandelion plants early in spring and upend a bucket over them with a brick on top. I have picked some really tender blanched leaves this way at a time when salad leaves are scarce, and they are hardly bitter at all. Unfortunately they are extremely attractive to slugs..... I personally would not grow dandelions on purpose, but after the autumn and winter there are always a few strong plants here and there.

I accidentally blanched some strong sorrel plants last spring by throwing a tarpaulin over them, and when I moved the tarpaulin, I was very impressed by the crisp white non-bitter leaves. I might do it on purpose soon, if only the frost and keen winds would go away. A few buckets or large plant pots with bricks to cover the holes should be quite productive.

I am sure you all know the other French name for dandelions:  pissenlit        Be warned.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 19:25:17 »
"I accidentally blanched some strong sorrel plants last spring by throwing a tarpaulin over them, and when I moved the tarpaulin, I was very impressed by the crisp white non-bitter leaves"

Artichoke: I have some wood sorrel growing in herb bed. It is a little bitter so will try blanching. Them thanks for tip

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 16:59:18 »
Sorry, I was writing about French sorrel, not wood sorrel, of which I have no experience. French sorrel looks a bit like dock leaves (in fact someone once accused me of allowing docks to grow on my plot....), is very easy to grow, and the smallest tender leaves are good raw in salad while the bigger ones generally need to be cooked; then they taste good and lemony but are a disappointing brown colour best hidden inside an omelette or added to a casserole for extra flavour.

As I said, I recently found that large leaves grown in the dark are crisp and sweet, which I suppose you might expect. When I put pots over dandelions, I'll try some over the French sorrel as well. And of course the three angled garlics and wild garlics are on the move for adding a bit of greenery to food.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal