Author Topic: HI  (Read 4331 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
HI
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:42:22 »
Although not posting I am still looking in on A4A. Spent three days in hospital in October, Doctor sent me there as my oxygen levels were low, they then let me home but only after oxygen had been installed in the bungalow. (COPD) All was well after couple of weeks. Enough of that just wanted to say that the snowdrops that I bought 'in the green' are springing up. I bought them to enlarge the snowdrop area where the snowdrops that Eric kindly sent me some years ago are planted. My snowdrops always seem to flower a month later than other peoples. I am really pleased with them. I also had Aconite in the green that daughter bought me but haven't seen any sign of them yet. Also pleased with the daff bulbs that I planted, mostly in pots as I can manage that.
Found Pauline's post about electric propagators interesting.
My handyman, can't call him a gardener as he knows even less than me about plants has done all the heavy work for me and as he has a van he has also cleared rubbish from my shed and outbuildings (accumulated over 25 years). I am now looking forward to doing the jobs I can manage, seed sowing, tubs and hanging baskets.
Just like to wish you all a great 2015 with bumper crops.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: HI
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 11:03:27 »
 :wave: ...we are here, so keep looking even if you don't feel like writing anything.
Nice to hear you are feeling better and able to still potter about.
I'm hoping your flowers AND snowdrops are success this year. I have first few snowdrop already in flower...though they are very early variety..rest of them, the common ones are nowhere near yet..only just showing the new growth....though 'common', they are worth of waiting :icon_cheers:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 11:34:51 »
Hello Lorna; good to hear from you again.  I often wonder how you are and am sorry to hear you have been ill.  Glad to hear that you are well now though.

I hope you get a good display from your snowdrops this year and that your aconites show themselves soon.  Have you still got your greenhouse?  They are handy to have when the sun is out yet just too chilly to be out in the garden.  Gosh! it seems ages since I was able to call and see you with Kathi.  The lily of the valley you gave me are still going strong, thank you.   Kathi moved to the USA about 2 or 3 years ago as Jon was sent there with his work.  They were in Ohio, up in the north by the great lakes but they have now moved south to Georgia. 

Good luck with your seed sowing this year Lorna and keep in touch with us all. 

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 17:16:35 »
the snowdrops that I bought 'in the green' are springing up. I bought them to enlarge the snowdrop area where the snowdrops that Eric kindly sent me some years ago are planted. My snowdrops always seem to flower a month later than other peoples.

I have a few snowdrops that came from my Mum's garden, and yet more from a chum's, but I decided I wanted a "winter walk" through our trees.  It sounds very grand, but there are probably only 20 or 30 trees and they are quite closely spaced ... anyways ... I bought Snowdrops, in the green, from Eurobulbs. From memory they were £70 / 1,000 and all I can say is that they can't count! (can't be bothered to count more likely!) and it was at least 1,500 bulbs.  I planted 3-per-hole as I read that they like company, and would probably look a little forlorn otherwise, but in their first year they looked pretty good and by year two were "clumping up", and now 4 years on I am splitting this-and-that clump to spread them out (I'm planting them as small clumps, after splitting the bigger clumps, rather than 2 or 3 singles in a hole) so that I'll have some larger clumps, ready for splitting, and some tiny clumps - bit like a production line. 

I also bought some early varieties - not entirely sure what they are because some were in flower before XMas this year. I think they are G. elwesii, and I also bought quite a lot of doubles (Galanthus nivalis flore pleno) but I don't think they were a good investment because, amongst a carpet of snowdrops, I can't pick them out. They look more fancy picked for a vase of course, but for that use I plant them "for cutting" rather than "for viewing".

Long-story-short it was a very good investment, if anyone else fancies doing some, and I would recommend a few earlies, but skip the Doubles.

If anyone interested some Before/After photos on my blog ... another few weeks and I'll add a 2015 one :)
https://kgarden.wordpress.com/projects/woodland-walk/2/#Gallery

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 17:59:20 »
Hi Lorna, Good to see your post and know you are still looking in on us  :happy7:
I love snowdrops too, so simple but exquisite at the same time and for me mark the change from deep winter gloom to the first glimpse spring will be on it's way. I was lucky enough to bring some snowdrops from my Grandmum's garden to where I live now and they are always a lovely reminder of her and times we spent together.
It sounds like your bulbs are going to give you a lovely display this year and they only seem to improve  :happy7:

Wish you well with your gardening, sounds like you will still have plenty to do  :wave:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 21:06:45 »
Thank you for the replies .
Pauline. Glad to hear the Lily of the valley are still going strong. Last year I sent some to my niece in Kent and she is delighted with them. I still have the greenhouse, unfortunately the strong winds last week removed and smashed a roof glass, so a job for the 'handyman'. 
I also managed to 'root' a couple of cuttings from my thornless blackberry which another niece in Kent wanted, I had such a big crop that some got wasted as none of the children like them (and you know I am not in to baking or jam, making lol)

Yes Jayb I am hoping for a nice show of the snowdrops, I just love them. It amazes me that young Lorna (next door) has just a few in her front garden and although she or the handyman has dug that area the poor snowdrops still manage to survive.

kGarden. I also bought mine from Eurobulbs I bought 100 singles and 100 doubles (my hairdresser shared the doubles with me) Daughter Alyson bought 50 aconite from them so hope they soon show. You are right, they can't count, even with the small quantity of 100 when I split the doubles to share with hairdresser we both landed up with at least 60 each. I planted them all in clumps, did wonder if I had planted them too near each other. I more or less made a couple of little 'trenches'. due to back problem I had to get them in quickly but so far all seems OK.
I wanted to see how they turned out, (incidentally Eurobulbs are not far from where I live) I am sure I will order more this year.

goodlife, hopefully I will have a nice show, might even be brave and put a photo up lol

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 21:38:43 »
goodlife, hopefully I will have a nice show, might even be brave and put a photo up lol

:icon_cheers: Oh please do...it would be very nice to see, the photo and you being brave too.. :icon_thumleft:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 16:57:23 »
I seem to have several snow drop varieties because they some come earlier than others. 

I have even managed a large variety they are about a foot tall.  I took a couple of seed pods from some growing wild.  But now after several years I finally have a couple of clumps of them.  They are already flowering.   

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 18:41:54 »
Nice to hear how you are doing Lorna  :wave:

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 20:34:16 »
Our Snowdrop Wood. And some Eranthis hiemalis
and a close up of a clump of Snowdrops'
Gardening is the great leveller.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 12:43:30 »
Lovely photos Palustris.   :icon_cheers:

I hope you have sent Nick one to put in the photo competition.  Entries have to be in by Sunday. 

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 16:17:26 »
No, don't do competitiveness!
Gardening is the great leveller.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 13:19:34 »
Just beautiful Palustris! Thank you for sharing. I have marked out the area where I planted the snowdrops and told my 'handyman' not to touch that area. I also planted some in a couple of tubs. Quite a few beginning to flower.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 15:17:57 »
Hi Lorna,

Like you am only popping in from time to time these days. So sorry to read that you have been poorly, but glad you are cheered up by the garden. Keep smiling and take care.

Love CLx :wave:

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 10:06:44 »
Hi Lorna, Just come back on the board myself today after a long absence. Lovely you have also popped in. Glad things are looking brighter. As you know I like hearing your news on face book.  Much love to you, and love to all the familiar names I am seeing. busy_lizzie x
live your days not count your years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal