Author Topic: Just recieved 28 days cultivation notice  (Read 6801 times)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Just recieved 28 days cultivation notice
« on: January 15, 2015, 12:18:02 »
Hello

I would like a little advice please. I have had an allotment plot now for 20 years and for the first time I have recieved a 28 days notice to cultivate my plot or my rental will not be renewed next year.  I cannot see that I can cultivate my plot within 28 days for a number of reasons. The first is the weather and the ground condirions as it is heavy mud. Also the second is I have a medical condition that stop me from going out sometimes. I also suffer from depression and anxiety and I am finding this very upsetting as I do not want to loose my allotment plot that I have had for around 20 years. It is not over grown the ground is covered.

Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Just recieved 28 days cultivation notice
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 12:20:48 »
Why not just reply and explain your problems and ask for some leeway?

If you've been a good tenant to date and kept your plot cultivtaed and productive they will surely allow you a period of grace till weather and health permit.    Gardening is good therapy for depression so use that argument too.
Obxx - Vendée France

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 13:08:49 »
Maybe find out what 'cultivation' they want.  I can't think of any work that could be urgent in January/February.  Are they after some tidying up, rather than cultivation?  Good luck sorting this out.  I agree with Obbelix.   

Hope you feel stronger very soon.   :wave: 

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 17:25:16 »
Write directly to the Council (if they are the landlord) and explain your circumstances fully. They should at least give you until the Spring when the weather will permit cultivation work. Can you not get a group of friends/relatives to help you get the plot in order?
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 19:10:43 »
A bit odd at this time of year.  We never inspect plots now and wouldn't consider issue notices.  It is unreasonable to expect anyone to "Cultivate" a plot in January - one of the deadest months of the year for site work.

Do what everyone says and get in touch as soon as you can with the landlord - it may even be a mistake.

I do know what my plot did for me this year when I had some issues.  It was the one thing I could get enjoyment out of - extremely therapeutic.  All the best...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

andyswarbs

• Not So New ...
    • Eynsham Allotment Association
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 19:29:08 »
Likewise we would not inspect plots right now.  That said at the committee meeting a couple of days ago I was informed one plotholder seemed to have covered their plot with gravel.  I cannot believe it but if true such an action needs investigation.  If true then more than a letter will be heading the plotholder's way, whatever time of year it is.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 21:06:42 »
I think you can be assured of our moral support These cases arise and often spring out of misunderstanding . I would write giving a plan of your intended timings for your various crops. If necessary, explain that your herbicidal regime is dependant upon active weed growth ,and can only be effective in the "growing season".Back your case with action, ie do what you say you will do.
 It may well be that the bureaucrat involved is not horticulturally inclined and does not understand the seasonality of your hobby. Ask your fellow ,and especially neighbouring ,plot holders if they too have received the letter. Do you know if there is any likelyhood of this being a "politically" motivated attempt to "free up "some plots to re-allocate to those impatient to get on who may cause "embarassment" to local  councillors in an election year? If you discover a motive, get publicity and cause as much embaarssment as you can.
Remember, this is your leisuretime pursuit and should not cause worry, stress, panic ,alarm or disquiet. I will always respond to personal messages through this forum if it helps. Good luck
Mart
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 22:26:31 »
Thank you kindly all for your replies.

We have been in contact with the council and have spoke to them and they have given myself and my father until the end of febuary to get our plots in order and cultivated. I suffer from depression and anxiety because I have a stomach problem which sometimes means I cannot get out which frustraits me. I did not mention my health problems to the council as I did not to sound as if I was wanting to gain sympathy as they would say if you are nt well enough to work your plot then you must give it up and hand it over to someone that can on the waiting list. I have had my plot now for about 18 years and I have never had this trouble before especially at this time of the year. I was more angry that they expected me to work and dig mud in the cold/windy/snowy weather. We are going to tidy up our plots and I will remove the black plastic that is down on my plot and turn over the soil with a spade as it is now clean and weed free.

I agree that a allotment should be a pleasurable place to work and relax but when you have got the council sending you threatening letters it is not much of a pleasure or enjoyment especially if you suffer from anxiety also.

Again thank you all for your support and appologies for not posting on this forum in a while. I used to be a regular poster here some time back.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 22:28:43 by the_snail »

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 17:37:17 »
Just to add I am not going to let this get me down infact I am going to look on it as a positive thing as the more work I do now will mean less I need to do in the spring and summer  :blob7: :sunny:

I was more angry that they sent me a threatening letter at this time of year, I would understand it if it was April or May but not January!! Which makes no sense to me.  Also I have never had a letter like that before and I have had my plot a long time.  Anyway like I said I am going to look on it as a positive thing and not a negative thing.

Again I would like to thank you all for your support  :happy7:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 17:57:41 by the_snail »

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 19:44:56 »
Ridiculous to send out a letter in January.  As you said it is too wet to get much done.  I feel annoyed on your behalf, just plain stupid.  I will probably start weeding, digging in March, much too cold at the moment. Keep smiling.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 12:51:03 »
Am glad you are taking it positively and I hope that uncovering the ground is sufficient.

Our site wouldn't dream of running an inspection at this time of year - it's nuts and shows they really don't understand the damage that digging in the wet can do to the soil or the allotmenteer! I can't properly get on my plot till around late-March when the wet stuff falls out of the sky less often.

Hope you don't get any more bother from them.

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 05:30:14 »
Am glad you are taking it positively and I hope that uncovering the ground is sufficient.

Our site wouldn't dream of running an inspection at this time of year - it's nuts and shows they really don't understand the damage that digging in the wet can do to the soil or the allotmenteer! I can't properly get on my plot till around late-March when the wet stuff falls out of the sky less often.

Hope you don't get any more bother from them.

Thank you Sparrow.

That is what I am angry about and cannot work out. The letter was sent out by the council not from the allotment assosiation. I have had no warnings or comunication from the assosiation just a threatening letter from the council out of the blue!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:33:30 by the_snail »

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 08:30:42 »
Very strange that the Allotment Association had no involvement, that just would not happen on our site. Do the Council do plot inspections without no Committee members being present?
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 17:00:53 »
I would suggest that the council are simply ensuring that the plots are going to be worked.  People on the waiting list want to get going soon.  Presume that as long as you reply things are ok.  Perhaps it is just a nudge to get people thinking about whether they really want to continue. 

I certainly do not do anything outside in January far too cold.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 17:55:50 »
I feel a little guilty that I have not been to my plots since before Christmas. Reading everyone's reluctance to get out there and dig, for perfectly respectable reasons, is quite encouraging. But I do have stuff growing there (I hope.......) leeks, garlic, kale, spinach beet, broad beans, onions and shallots. Every empty space is covered, which makes sense.

Good luck, Snail, and it seems unreasonable to me to be expected to make any serious improvements by the end of February!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal