Author Topic: Electric propagator  (Read 32088 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Electric propagator
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2015, 12:40:39 »
I just googled a Gatling gun and the CFL bulbs definitely do not look like them.  The 45W CFL is a helix spiral compact fluorescent lamp which produces a lot of light.  The 45 watts of power produces 3000 lumens, which is roughly the same as a 225w incandescent light.   It is a huge bulb. 
See:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45w-Blue-Spectrum-6400k-CFL-grow-light-lamp-bulb-BC-B22-/200695971044?pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Feeding_Bottle_Warmers_Coolers_LE&hash=item2eba697ce4

:laughing7:..I had to google it too now that you mentioned doing it... :icon_cheers:
I don't know what to day.... :laughing7:...I kind of see both views presented same time...LOL

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2015, 10:27:58 »
The 45W CFL is a helix spiral compact fluorescent lamp

Ah, OK.  Not seen that ype before, the sort of thing I was thinking of looks like this:

which, to my mind (assuming mounted horizontally), produces as much light going Up as Down, and clearly the upper light has no direct route to go downwards so has to come off a reflector above

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2015, 11:19:35 »
I thought that was the bulb you were thinking of kGarden.

I sorted out a lot of polystyrene lids yesterday but some of them are very dirty where they have been laying in the shed.  I will have to paint them as a lot have rust coloured marks on them from where water has dripped on them.  I seem to have enough to do the job so will get on with painting them today then I can duck tape them around the frame.

Some of the chilli and pepper plants in the propagator are an inch tall now so need repotting.  I assume they can be planted deep when repotting, the same as tomatoes?  I don't want them too leggy. 

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2015, 13:51:08 »
Some of the chilli and pepper plants in the propagator are an inch tall now so need repotting.  I assume they can be planted deep when repotting, the same as tomatoes?  I don't want them too leggy.
Yup. I don't think you will have a problem planting any seedling, up to its seed leaves, when pricking out.  I would be careful burying any deeper than that unless you know that the plant doesn't mind (such as Tomatoes).  Cucumbers, for example, are likely to hate having their stems buried as they easily suffer from stem-rot.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2015, 13:55:57 »

Yes you can plant them deeper...though I don't do them as deep as I would tomatoes, which sometimes get as deep as leaves just touching the compost.
But that's where the lights come handy....if you move them very early on under lights...they won't stretch and don't need much attention for some while. Top growth won't start until they've made good amounts of roots. I don't prick and pot mine until they have first pair of true leaves just about starting to emerge...where as tomatoes will romp away with their growth as soon as they pop their heads up.
I will wait another couple of weeks before thinking of giving of re-potting my chilli seedlings...and next stage from 'thinking' to action might take some while too... :glasses9:

Now my sweet potatoes that were moved back into propagator...HUH...they decided that it was happy move and all of the sudden they stopped sulking and new growth is popping up all over the place!  :icon_cheers: 

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2015, 10:04:31 »

But that's where the lights come handy....if you move them very early on under lights...they won't stretch and don't need much attention for some while. Top growth won't start until they've made good amounts of roots. I don't prick and pot mine until they have first pair of true leaves just about starting to emerge...where as tomatoes will romp away with their growth as soon as they pop their heads up.
I will wait another couple of weeks before thinking of giving of re-potting my chilli seedlings...and next stage from 'thinking' to action might take some while too... :glasses9:

They are in very small biodegradable fibre seedling pots (see below) so should I keep them in those in the light box until they have leaves?   I still haven't painted the polystyrene bits yet as we had to go out yesterday and were late getting back. I am busy this weekend so they will have to wait until Monday.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:15:34 by Paulines7 »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2015, 10:54:10 »
Yes you can keep them in those trays for time being.
I'll post another pick for you when my seedlings are ready for next stage so you can compare to your seedlings.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2015, 13:34:43 »
Thanks, Goodlife.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2015, 15:57:02 »
This is fascinating stuff! I might have to build a light cabinet myself.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2015, 12:41:01 »
Just ordered two bulbs plus holders, for a total of £25.

I'm going to use two old (but functional) guinea pig cages, the sort with a plastic tray as the base and a wire top. They are 12" tall, but I can lift up the wire parts if necessary. And we have some leftover underlay from when we installed wood flooring in the living room - it's thin polystyrene with a silver reflective coating, and I'm going to duct tape it together to make a kind of slipcover for each cage.

It's kind of exciting!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2015, 12:49:36 »
I just thought I would give an update on my propagator and light box as this was all new to me when I started this thread.

The propagator is all right but I have an awful lot of chilli and pepper seeds that haven't germinated yet and they have been in there for a few weeks now.  Many are recently bought seeds too.  I can understand it more for those seeds that are a few years old yet surprising enough I have had better results with those. 

The light box on the other hand has been a real boon and everything looks so healthy in there.  The stems have thickened up with those plants that were a bit leggy.  It has been well worth the effort making up the box.  All I did really was to copy Goodlife's design of using the top half of one of those cheap portable greenhouses and then placed polystyrene box lids around the outside.  John cut slits on the two pieces that make up the roof section, so they fit over the four uprights.  I haven't taped the polystyrene bits together as I didn't think they needed it.  The only expense has been the the two bulbs and lamp holders. 

How are the rest of you getting on with your recently constructed light boxes? 

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2015, 13:56:39 »
I only put seeds in the propagator a few days ago and my bulb holders only arrived yesterday so I haven't got round to constructing the light boxes just yet, since I don't have a desperate need for them.

All I need to do is make reflective slipcovers for the cages I'm using, which won't require much work.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2015, 14:11:49 »
My seedlings are doing well....though they should have been pricked and potted long time ago.. :BangHead: I keep promising to myself getting on with the job and then I look outside and thinking all that cold compost that is stacked up in GH...not very inspiring.
So, I've started to use teeny bit fertilizer in water since the seedlings are still in seed compost and I have to say, they are looking good.
I must get to potting and soon!

As for the germination...for some reason good proportion of my seed had been VERY slow to germinate this year???? Some have taken almost 3 weeks and still very slow to come out of their seed shells even the stems are almost straight!!! And some failed to show heads at all...although I suspect old seeds are reason for those. It has not been the best germination year for my chillies!?
But I suspect I still got more than I truly need...why is mind always so greedy....? :angel11:

Well..it will be time for pepper seeds soon... :toothy10:

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2015, 16:44:41 »

Onions sown 10-Jan, Germinated 16-Jan, Pricked out 24-Jan [into 1″ square modules] and grown on under a [Metal Halide] lamp. Photo 10-Feb

Sweet and Chilli Peppers (left) and Aubergines (Right)
Seeds sown on 10-Jan, Germinated 19-Jan, Pricked out 24-Jan [into 1″ square modules] and grown on under a (Metal Halide) lamp. Photo 10-Feb
Shortly to be potted-on to 9cm
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 17:22:44 by kGarden »

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2015, 17:03:10 »
Wow, do you have a heated greenhouse to grow the peppers and aubergines on in? Mine's not heated, and I don't think it'll be warm enough for those sorts of plants for months yet.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2015, 17:21:19 »
do you have a heated greenhouse to grow the peppers and aubergines on in?

Nope, I figure that its better to grow them on indoors, under lights, than heat the greenhouse.

I could heat the greenhouse, but the light (especially in January / February) would still be rubbish ... whereas light the plants indoors they are definitely warm enough and maybe?? running the lights is cheaper than a greenhouse heater would be.  I have PV panels on the roof, and we don't use all the generated power during the day, so on sunny days, at least, my electricity for the lamp is "free"

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2015, 11:41:19 »
Wow, KGarden, your plants look so good!     :icon_cheers:  I hope mine do as well as that.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2015, 12:42:01 »
Wow, KGarden, your plants look so good!

Thanks, but do take into account that I am seriously cheating!!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2015, 00:13:58 »
Wow, KGarden, your plants look so good!

Thanks, but do take into account that I am seriously cheating!!

? ? ?   How so?

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2015, 11:24:33 »
How so?
My Cannabis-style lighting rig :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal