Author Topic: Gardening with Osteoarthritis  (Read 11790 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Gardening with Osteoarthritis
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 19:27:30 »
try now

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 21:14:16 »
thanks for your messages guys, am trying to stay positive.

D-Day is 20th April and i am not sure i am going to actually find out whats up then but will see.

In mean time i am taking myself away to Denmark for a few days and catching up with other things around the house.

I have been doing some gardening and am realising how weak i am managed to cut back one bush and that tired me out and had to have a 2 hour nap.

Wanted to move a rose but gave up, so tomorrow need to get the husband out into the garden to finish my jobs :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 20:54:47 »
..well, i dont have fibromyalgia however the MRI scans have proven to show i have MS and that this is likely to be the 2nd attack over the last 6-8 years. Now waiting to see if i have Osteoarthritis or if these symptoms can also be put down to MS.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 09:43:58 »
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Cam. 

It looks like you will have to take it easy with your gardening from now on.   :sad10:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 10:04:45 »
..well, i dont have fibromyalgia however the MRI scans have proven to show i have MS and that this is likely to be the 2nd attack over the last 6-8 years. Now waiting to see if i have Osteoarthritis or if these symptoms can also be put down to MS.

Not so good Cam.  Sorry you are struggling with MS.  At least there is a possibility of recovery and/or periods of being much better with MS, rather than the arthritis which is pretty permanent.  Please pace yourself and hope the garden will still produce well.  Chin up!  A hug for you, hope to see you in Brum.    :angel11:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 13:23:11 »
This is not good news but sometimes it is a relief to finally get a diagnosis and know what you are coming to terms with.  Means you can join a support group. 

Nice to hear you are managing to stay positive though I expect that is not easy at times.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 13:35:05 »
Thanks all, husband is helping me get the raised beds in over the next few weeks (4 scaffolding boards high so i dont have to bend to far) and i am putting in a concrete base for greenhouse.

Harriets trampoline has died a death over the winter and we spent last weekend taking it down and to the tip.

We have decided to get harriet some new garden play equipment and this will have a temp home on the greenhouse base for now :)

Work are not really helping the situation and i am quite stressed suspect i am being "managed out" of the business and to be honest i dont want to be in that environment any more.

Had a bad attack of something friday and slept from 10pm thursday to after midday friday, i did try and get up around 5am for work but felt almost like i was having a migrane but was not affected by light. Still feel pretty tired and washed out.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 16:54:49 »
suspect i am being "managed out" of the business

Here are some things to think about before you feel you cannot cope with your job.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/09/03/employer-force-quit-rights/

I think this might be a US site but most of it applies.

You have enough problems, so do not need someone creating extra ones.

Discuss your disability with them and find out what they can do to help. 

Find ways of distressing.  Lavender is good, a few drops of oil on a basin of warm water is great.

pumkinlover

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 21:15:58 »
Sorry to take so long to respond Cam. I was waiting and hoping that your symptoms were down to what sounded like and extremely hectic and stressful work life combined with traveling long distances.
I hope that the positive "appearance" that you are making on here is helping you to get through what must be a very difficult time. Glad that you have a good husband and Harriet to give you love and support. xx Anne

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 22:57:51 »
Hi Cam,

Sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis - hope you find a good support network to advise & help you .

Debs  :icon_flower:

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 23:57:11 »
Hi ALL,

Quick Update - I quit my job friday and last working day will be next friday.

Feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

I am going to take a few months off and find something closer to home so i don't have to do so much traveling.

Hugs

Cam

pumkinlover

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2015, 07:52:14 »
Hope that this helps you, must be a relief to not have to do the travelling, it sounded dreadful even for someone in good health.
Good luck with finding something suitable.
x

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2015, 13:40:39 »
Good for you Cam, I'm sure it will make a big difference and enable you to take more control.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2015, 18:28:34 »
Good.  you will enjoy the extra time for yourself and your family.  Less stress too so that will, make you feel better.  Doubt if I could have coped with your  horrendous schedule.  Good luck in finding something more local.  Xx May

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 09:39:53 »
Cam, hi, sorry to hear you have these troubles. My best advice is this... try and do everything and anything you want, be determined but stop the very minute you have more than medium pain. I have FM and some oesteo too among a few more niceties and I know for sure that what ever pain you are having in your joints you will get added pain in your muscles and ligaments very easily with use  and for me it is that that is the worse thing..stopping at the first chance and resting even 10 minutes can sometimes chuck off the extra pain and you can get going again, then after it comes back stop again.  Don't say to yourself  I will stop when I have finished...whatever..it just gets worse..stop when it hurts, rest and start again.. This really works if you follow the rule. It is not always easy.

another tip, if you are prepping food, eg peeling, chopping, mixing pastry, stuff like that do it sitting down, standing over a counter or sink aggravates those areas. Save standing up for things that you have no option on. Also doing things with two arms outstretched causes problems more than keeping your arms closer to your body so avoid folding sheets or vacuuming. I find I can reach out one arm a long way, either oen actually but if I try to reach out them both together bang goes my back in minutes.

Get a glider  chair, Dutailier is the best, they are so finely balanced that even breathing which slightly moves the rib cage makes mine rock all by itself and the rocking/gliding motion is much better than sitting on a static chair.

Just little tips but I have lived with a very high pain level for a long time now and have learned  a thing or two. Get a scooter as was advised for going shopping, the supermarket is a long job and ask them to pack the groceries in your car. Don't pump your own gas, the weight of the pump and the time standing is enough to swing mw into the doom zone .

Good Luck and take care of you !!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal