Author Topic: Best use for a bank/slope?  (Read 2947 times)

Bigpikle

• Not So New ...
Best use for a bank/slope?
« on: December 21, 2014, 22:44:45 »
Our new plot has a slight bank along one end as it runs to the access road for the site - full width of the plot and about 5' and 30 degree of slope or so. Its facing NE but quite open. Currently its not planted and I'm wondering what might be a good use for it?

Its a little challenging for getting at to do lots of digging, especially from the top edge trying to work below your feet, but I was wondering if something like rhubarb or maybe courgettes or squashes might be suited to that sort of site? Low maintenance and relatively simple to access from only 1 side?

Any suggestions on how best to utilise it would be appreciated. Its not a major part of the plot but large enough that I dont want to waste it.

Thanks

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Best use for a bank/slope?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 23:04:35 »
I get the impression it is sloping upwards rather than down....is this correct?

If it is I would build a retaining wall from sleepers, bricks,stones at the bottom of the slope then use  the the area behind as a compost heap for a couple of years.

Meanwhile you could plant out courgettes,pumpkins etc, on it as I do on my compost heap.

In a couple of years you will have a bit of a terraced garden or least an area with much less of a slope?

Let us know what you think,plus a picture would give us all a better idea of what is needed...Tg
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 23:08:46 by Tee Gee »

Bigpikle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 06:39:23 »
yep - slopes up from the plot to the communal access area. A picture would have been a good idea in hindsight but I didnt think of it when we went there the other day...

I like your idea of compost heap as I hadnt thought of that. Perfect for the sort of thing we want to have somewhere on there anyway. My challenge is finding materials for building the retaining barrier though - we have enough to spend on lots more posts & netting for the pigeons and dont have any easy source for general free materials. I do however have 2 of those huge square white builders merchant bags - the things that bulk orders of sand etc are delivered in - and am thinking they could possibly be used in a similar way on the slope. Staked out so they create a fairly level surface once filled.

Thanks for the inspiration and I'll try and get over there today and get a picture. I need to get some measurements for some bed planning anyway so

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 08:08:01 »
I am not clear about how wide this strip is,  Being on the NE side anything you plant I would think might shade something else on the plot.   

Digging from the top will be difficult but it would be easier from the bottom.  Digging will be a problem because it will wash away the soil over time and begin to undermine the access road.    So I like your idea of the bags. 

Pumpkins and squashes might climb up it.   Tromba D'Albenga tend to go southwards.  They would also clear any covering weeds.  You might have to fight them off covering the road as well.  But I am not sure they would like the NE facing aspect.

I would suggest some fruit bushes. 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:25:29 »
I agree with others...climbing/rambling plants being good idea and will cover the area keeping weed growth down too.
There is always fruit/berries to think about too..alpine/wild strawberries are naturally used to growing in challenging areas and will quite readily produce sweet treats for you with minimum of effort from you. Fruit bushes too...particularly gooseberry, will cope with 'not-so-ideal' ground. This challenge won't make fruit bushes/plants grow lush like on more level ground, but will restrict their growth...any fruit they do produce are VERY tasty though not quite as big and beautiful and you won't be picking them in 'bucket loads' neither...then again, another bonus is that you don't need to worry about pruning the plants regularly neither :icon_cheers:
These plants rooth growth will help stabilize the top soil too, holding it in place should conditions come more challenging than normal...and that would be all year round too :icon_cheers:
Maybe you have room for little bit everything there? Summer crops and permanent planting? Oh and don't forget to sprinkle few flower seeds where the ground is not good enough for growing anything else..some for you and some for wild life.. :angel11:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 09:35:35 »
Pallets are quite easy to get hold of and would make you retaining wall very quickly..few posts too keep them upright, and pallets attached to those few nails and job done. If there is room for builders bags too...even better! You could loop the bags over the post too keep them upright.
I have used builder bags as compost 'bins' and then planters...brilliant...though they take HUUUUGE effort to get them filled. I used couple of straw bales to fill some of the space up and then filled rest of it what ever I could get hold of. Straw bales did take 3 years to rot down after which I emptied the bags and used the 'compost' in my tomato buckets...and the resulting stuff is still good to 'recycle' for other crops :icon_cheers: Those builders bags have been outdoor for 6 years now...and they are still strong enough for another 'round' of being compost bins and planters :icon_thumleft:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:38:21 »
I forgot to give you a welcome to A4A.  So big one from me,

Straw bales can be great for growing in, you could shave off bottom so they would fit the slope then you can grow into the top.  Tomatos and courgettes quite like this.  Need a good amount of fertiliser and watering.  You just make hole the top of the bale and add compost.

If you put them in the car they can make quite a mess, so plenty of plastic covers are needed.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 13:58:20 »
Dependent upon the layout of your site, and whether you have piped water to each plot (oh , a luxury!), I would be considering the possibility of rain harvesting. This need not exclude  either the courgette option,nor the compost option described above. An area of 4metresx 1.5mtrs ,covered in polythene or butyl pond liner would be capable of gathering 18 litres of water from 3mm rainfall, the daily average here this year.Storage of 1 month would equate to 540litres, equalling about 2 x 55 gallon drums . Plants to one side, and trained across the covered area would not inhibit the main purpose.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Bigpikle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 21:52:20 »
Just an update  - turns out there was rather a lot of rhubarb in there already! The bank is now a wall of rhubarb covering about 7m wide, which is great news as we love it. I can see us getting bored of it all in a few years but for now bring it on....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal