Author Topic: Christmas Eggs  (Read 4030 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Christmas Eggs
« on: December 21, 2014, 10:04:54 »
To our great surprise, one of our Ixworths has come back into lay already.  We're getting a small egg every couple of days.  We wouldn't normally expect to see any eggs from them until at least February!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Christmas Eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 10:11:38 »
Brilliant, a wonderful gift   :toothy10:  I wonder if the generally warmer temperatures (up to now) have made the difference?
Our girls are still laying, though they are the brown hybrid jobbie. I do notice the egg size drops a little winter time, particularly when it's cold. We're getting around 5 a day now, sometimes 4 rather than 6.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 10:13:33 »
Well the weather haven't been that wintery so perhaps they decided 'let is go'...perhaps we don't get 'winter' this year at all?...maybe they are trying to tell us something that they know of?

3 of my girls are laying few eggs a week...didn't expect them to start at all until spring. One of them that I now know being Wellsummer breed...haven't laid single one yet...though they don't lay that many in a year anyway.

How old are your girls now? Any 'new ones' in plan?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:48:18 »
Well the weather haven't been that wintery so perhaps they decided 'let is go'...perhaps we don't get 'winter' this year at all?...maybe they are trying to tell us something that they know of?

3 of my girls are laying few eggs a week...didn't expect them to start at all until spring. One of them that I now know being Wellsummer breed...haven't laid single one yet...though they don't lay that many in a year anyway.

Oh your 'girls' have started?  That's great goodlife.  You said you didn't really expect any eggs until spring.  How lovely!  And of course your's too Melbourne and Jayb, but they are established layers already.

Great to have eggs for Christmas baking.  You all must be looking after your birds very well, not just the weather.   :wave:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 11:10:54 »
Great to have eggs for Christmas baking.

I don't know about baking but it is nice to have eggs in full stop.
One doesn't really 'save' money having few chickens...but the 'feel good' factor from just knowing where the eggs come from and what goes in to getting them is priceless...oh and of course they taste better!  :icon_cheers:
Chickens just give that feeling of 'home'..you know when you have arrived when they greet you at the gate.. :icon_cheers:
And the poo......now there is a product not to 'sniff at'...literally... :glasses9:....something that I regard much higher than the actual eggs.. :icon_cheers:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 11:20:33 »
Phew!,

When I read the title I thought Easter had come early and the Cadbury's cream eggs were on sale already!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 11:22:24 »
Mine have slowed down but not stopped completely which is great as we are now at the solstice and days will be getting longer now.  Had two lovely eggs this morning with my home cured bacon and home made bread!!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 14:40:25 »
Mine are more New Year Eggs - I wondered why one of the girls was sitting in the house all day, lifted her out and found eggs! Collected those and then found another so two of the three must be laying. A lovely surprise.
OC

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 15:13:59 »
Last one of our 'new' girls have come to lay..the buzzard....and what I lovely dark brown egg it was too, proper Wellsummer egg.
But then some silly bugger decided to put that egg in her pocket while struggling with keys and girls...trying to shut the shed door for the night...and yes, I bet you guessed...it WAS lovely.. :BangHead: Lesson learnt was...don't be lazy and shove eggs into pocket, collect them and put them away BEFORE you try to do something else...at least I did managed to shove the coat into washing machine for wash straight away...AFTER cleaning worst of the mess...no 'left overs' in pocket after wash.
Now I know how it feels when egg goes 'pop' in the pocket...funny feeling that! :glasses9:

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 19:27:30 »
 I think we have all done that goodlife so you are in good company. I went to work with one in my pocket once. That was messy as I found out when I also put my purse in the same pocket.
Then called at the shop   :sign12:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal