Author Topic: Amazon beware  (Read 2113 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Amazon beware
« on: December 21, 2014, 08:42:44 »
I have normally been pleased with Amazon, but have had an issue with a product.  So I tried to post a poor review of the seller.  Every time it is rejected.  Hence the fabulous rating of the sellers is an absolute shame because you are simply unable to post a bad one.  You simply get an email saying it has been deleted.

Therefore in my mind the ratings are meaning less. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Amazon beware
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:12:35 »
I've posted several bad reviews without any issues in the past.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 11:17:47 »
I had a similar situation once where I congratulated the company for a speedy service and price but I said that the product was not what it was cracked up to be.

That is the claim they made about how it was stronger than others on the market was not true, in fact it was much the same as the others I had bought in the past.

I got an email back stating that I shouldn't have written this!

So I agree some of them  seem to be very selective in the reviews they publish.

Another one I had an issue with was with eBay where I needed two of a product they were advertising but I could not see anywhere if the p&p was for each item, or that it would only be for the two together.

The products were of a size that both of them would have gone in a standard envelope and the p&p was what seem to be the statutory price of £4-95  meaning I would have to pay nearly a tenner when in fact the cost would only be a stamp!

So to find out I went through the process  of buying to see what the p&p charges would be and yes it was double!

So I didn't purchase them but a few days later I received an email both from the seller and eBay stating that I owed them money for the said product/s although I had not hit the " purchase" button.

What had happened is I failed to empty my "basket" so they reckoned I had placed an order and my name was blacklisted as a bad payer so I have not used eBay since!

Having said that generally I am quite happy with online shopping but I have to say that there are a few rip off merchants ( spivs) out there so if I am in doubt I check as much as I can,and if I am unsure I simply don't make the purchase. ( but now I empty my basket)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 11:32:56 »
So I didn't purchase them but a few days later I received an email both from the seller and eBay stating that I owed them money for the said product/s although I had not hit the " purchase" button.
What had happened is I failed to empty my "basket" so they reckoned I had placed an order and my name was blacklisted as a bad payer so I have not used eBay since!

Gosh!...I often have things 'stored' in shopping cart' and emptied quite some time later when I finally decided if I buy or not...and never ever I have been forced to buy, nor black listed or anything else.... :icon_scratch:
I've always assumed that the sale is not happened/completed until I pay or press the commit to buy button.
Oh I would go bonkers should somebody dare to do 'blackmail' me... :angry4:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 12:27:30 »
Not blackmail' Gl

Blacklist, in other words they said I could not make any other purchases until I had paid off the ones in my basket!

Needless to say..............they got a very angry reply as I explained my position using a few choice words.......and I never got an apology!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 12:44:53 »
blackmail'
...copy that.. :icon_thumleft: It was more of way of expressing how I would feel if they would press that sort of actions to me.
'few choice words'...why do I have feeling it was mildly put... :evil6:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:47:36 by goodlife »

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 12:56:18 »
Just for "balance" :) I have had several products in my eBay basket for months.  Seeds added to basket at a time when the seller said he was on holiday ... and I haven't got around to finalising the order.  I get [automatic] emails from eBay once a week trying to encourage me to checkout ... but that's it.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 14:48:20 »
I sell online as a small business and Digeroo, Amazon has a very hard and fast rule that bad feedback left for a seller which is in reality a product review ("poor quality item", "not fit for purpose" etc) is removable.  So try writing a product review.

And I've seen loads of 1 star product reviews which mention the seller by name .....

Websites do have funny rules though sometimes.  I had a product review on Tesco Direct rejected because it mentioned the price I'd paid - they allow you to say you bought it on offer but not the price you paid.  But Amazon doesn't seem to bother about this.

And you have to be a bit careful with ebays's basket:  if you are storing stuff in there for later and then hit Buy It Now on something else, ebay trys to add your basket items to the item you are purchasing.  And it's easy to miss.   But if you buy in error or just found it cheaper elsewhere, you don't have to get het up, just tell the seller you want to cancel the transaction and the seller will send you a cancellation, then they can get their ebay fees refunded - currently 11% of the sale incl P&P charge.  We are just businesses and don't want to waste time when someone won't be paying anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal