Author Topic: Japanese radish/ mooli  (Read 6089 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Japanese radish/ mooli
« on: December 19, 2014, 11:03:29 »
Right I'm going back to my old post here..http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,75286.0.html

Has any of you  had a go growing these in this country.

My first attempt with the giant Sakurajima didn't go well...and it was all down to my lack of research.. :BangHead:
I didn't know at the time that these 'giants' are daylight sensitive. :sunny:...needing 12 hrs day light and 12 hrs darkness.. :drunken_smilie: And there was me sowing them in april/may..they bolted almost instantly!!! :BangHead:

Now I'm wondering if the 'normal' mooli seeds that are sold commonly in UK are all the same....needing very early sowing to get them going before summer comes and bolt them....or late sowing... :drunken_smilie:

I've noticed that Jungle seeds is now UK supplier for Sakurajima radish seeds....AND....they have them in sale now too... :icon_cheers:
Just made little order to get some of these more for another go....and got few other interesting 'bits' for some experimentation this summer.. :icon_cheers:  ...one of them is Japanise RICE! :icon_cheers: :sunny: :toothy10: :glasses9: :angel11:

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
Re: Japanese radish/ mooli
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 12:31:10 »
I've grown Mooli - can't remember what it was labelled, probably just "Mooli" !!

Grew it in the second half of the Summer, as was aware that in common with other Oriental Veg they tend to bolt if sown early in the year.

The roots grew half-out-of-the-ground, as well as half-in, which pushed the plant up (and I hadn't expected).  No idea if that is normal though!

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 12:39:32 »
I am a bit confused about this day light sensitivity. At what stage is it most important because it cannot be the same ratio for long?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 13:00:19 »
The roots grew half-out-of-the-ground, as well as half-in, which pushed the plant up (and I hadn't expected).  No idea if that is normal though!

That's what I've seen too and would expect to happen  :icon_thumleft:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 13:06:31 »
I am a bit confused about this day light sensitivity. At what stage is it most important because it cannot be the same ratio for long?

Umm....I think it is the maximum amount of day light that will trick the plant for flowering and seeding (bolt)...so we need to think timing the majority of the growing season when out that season. Our brightest time of the year is May-August...that's when one doesn't want them to be in their developing stage.
That is how I understand it.... :drunken_smilie:
So...my plan is to start again around February...starting in GH...maybe just few in fairly good size pots that can be then transplanted with minimum root disturbance later on...or so I hope.
And if that doesn't work out...I'll have another go later on ...early autumn'ish :drunken_smilie:

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 13:18:31 »
i've only sown it as a late crop but you can have them all year

Culture is similar to the common radish, except that daikons are bigger and need more space and a longer growing season. A deep, loose, moist, fertile soil is required. Plant in late winter or early spring for spring and summer use and in July for fall harvest

actually, I find normal radishes impossible to grow in the main part of the summer. Is it a heat thing rather than a light thing?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 13:26:36 by alkanet »

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 13:43:46 »
I have tried sowing them in august and the moolies bolted pretty quick so now think a September sowing would be preferable. Yes they do grow half out of the ground and that is the problem - a magnet for root fly that can munch the root away in the middle leaving an hour glass shape with an edible bit at the top and bottom and black horridness between the two.  :happy7:

As a result the radish are more likely to bolt anyway so as well as a later sowing some environmesh would be a sensible precaution.

Much easier are the black radishes as their harder rinds seem to prevent root fly damage completely. The round ones are fantastic, a great winter stalwart. This year I tried the long ones too and they have grown as big as a giant mooli. :happy7: A little more fiddly to prepare though. A mid/late july sowing and thinned to eight-ten inches apart a couple of weeks later and that's it, easy food.

For a summer radish Sicily Giant from Real Seeds are pretty hard to beat. They are large, crisp and succulent and more satisfactory to prepare than smaller kinds.

I got Mexican Giant sweetcorn from Jungle Seeds. While I doubt mine will get to the proclaimed sixteen feet tall they may get a few tongues wagging at the allotments. Let's see what the phantom sweetcorn muncher makes of them too:happy7:

Radish are such an underestimated crop, one that can be sown all season long. They are one answer to the question "What do I sow now my early crops are picked?"

Good luck with the moolies. :icon_cheers:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 13:49:22 by ed dibbles »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 15:17:49 »
I used to have a Korean plot neighbour and she grew them.. They were huge.  I am sure they had no special treatment, sown probably May she did not get going very fast.  She was a bung it in a hope for the best person.    She also grew amazing cucumbers.

She grew them on a slightly raised bed which I think gradually washed out, so they certainly ended up with quite a bit above ground, she wrapped paper round to keep them white.   

Franchi have one called  Minowase Summer Cross F1  they say sow march onwards.

There is also the German Bier Rettich, Bobbys seeds have those.

I thought there were only two days with equal day and night.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 08:44:47 »
I have always treated them as a late crop so I sow them in late August and pick them through autumn and winter.  However they don't get very big so maybe an earlier sowing would be better if you avoid the bolting..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 13:13:50 »

Umm....I think it is the maximum amount of day light that will trick the plant for flowering and seeding (bolt)...so we need to think timing the majority of the growing season when out that season. Our brightest time of the year is May-August...that's when one doesn't want them to be in their developing stage.
That is how I understand it.... :drunken_smilie:
So...my plan is to start again around February...starting in GH...maybe just few in fairly good size pots that can be then transplanted with minimum root disturbance later on...or so I hope.
And if that doesn't work out...I'll have another go later on ...early autumn'ish :drunken_smilie:

Thank you goodlife  :wave:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 14:05:58 »
Oh don't thank me,,,,,I'm ALL confused now...my seed order arrived and I have just read the 'instructions'..
"sow small amounts of seed in pots starting February under glass, thinning to one per pot...grow on under glass as plants need 12 hour daylight days?!? :icon_scratch: (that doesn't work at all like I've figured?!)....alternatively sow in August in pots to plant outside."

Hmm....something doesn't tally with those instructions... :icon_scratch:
Either way....I've done summer growing and it didn't work...so 'off season' is my best bet ..other have confirmed it too  .

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 00:19:53 »
I've grown them for several years, sowing in July. They do tend to erupt out of the ground and usually end up the size of large carrots at least. If they are happy, they go huge, bag of sugar size.

They keep well in the fridge too.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 09:53:37 »
I've grown them for several years, sowing in July.

REALLY!?....in July!   

Well...that throws that idea out of 'window' then.. :drunken_smilie:
I can feel experiment coming on.....monthly sowings....and if I'm really 'unlucky' I've got half allotment full of mooli... :drunken_smilie: Lol....courgette and mooli diet  :glasses9:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 12:38:51 »
So...because I don't have anything better to do...I've done some reading and thinking of this 'day light issue'.. :drunken_smilie:
And I think I have finally cracked it... :drunken_smilie:

Mooli radishes don't actually need the 12 hrs day light as 'rule'...they need good amount of light, around 12hr days for good growth, but it is the increasing daylight length (time of the year) that trigger the bolting mode... :drunken_smilie:
So...one has to either start very early when the temperature and other factors that can cause bolting are not the immediate issue and get the benefit from rapid spring growth....ending up with edible/useable size roots until the bolting will occur.

OR...sow from Late July-August onwards when the intensity of the day light is getting less and the actual day light hours are getting that tiny bit of shorter. We are in the 12/12 hours light and day stage at September-October time>>when diminishing daylight length doesn't send reproduction messages within the plants any more....or should not... :drunken_smilie:
....and then there is stress factors too that trigger bolting.... :drunken_smilie: :sunny:

Putting it shortly.....early sowings for smaller quickie roots....later sowings for biggies... :icon_cheers:
I feel better now that I got it out my system and I finally understand it all......? :drunken_smilie:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 22:15:19 »
I also find the European Winter Radish easier... Black Spanish (Round or long) and I have a nice purple skinned German one called Herbst and something...  :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 23:54:52 »
How big is big.?

I have always treated my mooli as winter radish and sow them straight into the soil late June or early July then forget about them.

It is not unusual for them to grow to  a foot long and about an inch and a half in diameter when I lift them in Nov/Dec although most of them ar usually around 6"-8" long.

I would imagine if I tended them a bit more I could get them bigger by thinning them out and earthing them up as they grow.

I just buy the bog standard variety that Kings sells.

I find they hold quite well in the soil even if affected by early frost.

I find that they are more likely to bolt if sown early because they are maturing when conditions are quite warm whereas I have found the reverse happens with  later sowings.

In fact I grow mooli rather than growing radish like French Breakfast.

So why would you want to grow a twenty pounder ? Wont these grow a bit woody lik an overgrown standard radish does when it is left to get too big?

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 00:40:53 »
Usually the ones from a July sowing are an inch or so across and four or more inches long. Some years I have had ones that go ballistic - the size of a bag of sugar, the appearance of a naked mole rat. They don't go woody, though.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 09:48:12 »
So why would you want to grow a twenty pounder ?
No other reason other than to see how big I can grow them.
Sakurajima radishes should be able to grow to HUMONGOUS size.... :drunken_smilie: ...propably not that good for eating when their largest...but I just want to see and touch one of two monster size ones..novelty value.. :glasses9:
As for eating...well, good 'carrot size' ones would be perfectly big enough.
I don't have issues with normal radishes nor with winter types....admittedly I've only grown mooli just once and apparantely I did tackle task wrong time of the year so did end up with loads of flowers instead of roots.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal