Author Topic: Blinis  (Read 3570 times)

alkanet

• Half Acre
Blinis
« on: December 18, 2014, 17:53:29 »
they can't be that difficult, can they??

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Blinis
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 20:23:13 »
Just like making mini American pancakes! Easy!
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 20:51:37 »
except I couldn't find any flour :(

try again tomorrow

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 14:14:54 »
so I made them with plain flour and bicarb, and J didn't like them at all

so I made them with wholemeal flour and yeast and an egg. They were better but not right either. Just like mini thin pancakes. You can't balance smoked salmon on top

i'll have 1 more go

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 15:47:06 »
so I made them with plain flour and bicarb, and J didn't like them at all

so I made them with wholemeal flour and yeast and an egg. They were better but not right either. Just like mini thin pancakes. You can't balance smoked salmon on top

i'll have 1 more go

There is a Delia recipe online with yeast and buckwheat flour.  Delia usually works for me ........  good luck  :wave:

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 15:54:25 »
Make sure your batter is thick enough and use about a tablespoonful of batter onto a hot griddle or thick frying pan. This should give you the size and thickness you need to put a topping on.

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 15:59:01 »
yes, too thin mixture. My ones actually looked like the picture,

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2903/three-fish-blinis.aspx?o_is=LV

but weren't what I wanted

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 17:52:07 »
What are blinis?  I thought they were scotch pancakes made with yeast.   While bannock are just a pancake recipe a bit heavy on the flour and then cooked quickly on a hot oiled pan.  My MIL came from Scotland and had a special girdle pan for them.   

We used to eat a lot of them when the children were small, they are such a quick meal.  Served with lots of butter and jam.

I have also used the yeast recipe but it take a lot longer, you have to wait an hour or so for the yeast to get going.    They were both a good way of using up going off milk before refrigeration.  My MIL used leave milk to go sour specially.  If you are feeling improverished you can leave out the eggs in the blinis, and they become a sort of thin crumpet.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 09:09:19 »
Blinis are small pancakes made with buckwheat flour and yeast. Cook them on a griddle or thick frying pan. Strong flour will be ok if you can't get buckwheat. They were originally from Russia served with caviar. We ten to serve them here with soured cream/cream cheese and smoked salmon. I like them but OH prefers a small savoury scone.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 14:04:43 »
We like blinis too with smoked salmon and crème fraiche laced with horseradish.  I cheat and buy them ready made and bng them in the freezer for when I need them.

Discovered when Possum was small that OH (from Worcester) had never eaten drop scones!   Now they're one of her favourite holiday breakfasts but as a child they were a favourite after school snack when she came home with friends.   One of these, aged 20,has joined our salsa class and still remembers drop scones fondly.  Not a Belgian thing at all.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal