Author Topic: Runner beans  (Read 1706 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Runner beans
« on: December 17, 2014, 15:09:45 »
My runner beans that I froze without pre boiling this year seem to taste a bit soapy.  Not as good as fresh, think they may have to be recycled.  If the next batch doesn't taste good, in the bin.  Peas still taste great that I froze but didn't have too many to freeze.  Can't wait for the spring.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Runner beans
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 15:23:12 »
We had some last night and they were very good.  Steamed them though, not boiled in water.  Sometimes (strangely) a touch of sugar makes them taste much better.  Can't remember a soapy flavour here.  You must have been unlucky.  My friend makes leeks in cheese sauce which is lovely and I wondered whether runner beans in cheese sauce would fully mask any off flavour?

it would be a shame to compost your frozen beans after all the work preserving them. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 17:28:12 »
I do a green bean, tomato and chilli stew, it covers up any shortcomings in the beans.  You can throw in any other veg such as carrots and equal sad frozen courgettes and other herbs and spices as well as slightly dried up frozen fruit.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:08:42 »
Awful to have to compost them, make some soup, an onion and a vegetable stock cube and there you are, mind you I always sieve my bean soup well, it can be a bit fibrous.
It's bean soup. I don't care what it's been, what is it now? This works better if you say it out loud.....

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 00:24:25 »
I find that beans don't freeze well, in the sense that they just don't taste as good as the freshly cooked ones. We tend to make ratatouille with them and the courgettes etc, they are fine cooked and frozen like that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal