Author Topic: cornus alba sibirica  (Read 2310 times)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
cornus alba sibirica
« on: December 06, 2014, 15:22:56 »
I have just been dividing up and re-planting the lovely red stemmed cornus alba sibirica . I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas about what might look good planted around and under it ..like now when they loose their leaves and the stems go scarlet ..and into spring  ?  :coffee2: thanks .Debs
Trespassers will be composted !

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: cornus alba sibirica
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 16:03:42 »
I have snowdrops under mine and pale creamy daffs for later on.
Obxx - Vendée France

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 13:39:49 »
Dunno if you have any Winter Gardens [open to the public] near you? - I kinda assume that Cornwall doesn't have winter like we do so maybe there are differences, but I got a lot of inspiration from Anglesey Abbey which is near us and has a lovely winter garden.  There are some photos of it on my Blog in case it gives you any ideas:
http://kgarden.wordpress.com/english-garden-visits/anglesey-abbey-winter-garden/
some of the photos are the same, but there are some additional ones my Pinterest:
http://www.pinterest.com/kgardenpins/anglesey-abbey-cambridge-winter-garden/

My aim is to create a "winter garden" cluster of plants easily visible from the house so we can enjoy it on miserable days without having to venue out and squelch along the clay grass lawn & paths!  In part I want autumn colour trees, and in part winter colour of things like Dogwood and Rubus thibetanus

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 20:17:43 »
Thanks , hmm....snowdrops lovely  ...I have a few in a flowerpot that maybe it is time I planted out .
Wow ! Those white silver birches are stunning ! We dont have it so cold here  but Oh boy does it rain ! ...which is what the cornus loves.....I noticed some green carex grasses , they looked nice .....that black grass looked stunning too . I will look it up too . thanks for your ideas . Debs  :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 00:34:21 »
snowdrops lovely  ...I have a few in a flowerpot that maybe it is time I planted out

They are cheap to buy (planted "in the green" shortly after flowering).  I have planted quite a lot here, under the trees to make a winter-walk.  I got mine from www.eurobulbs.co.uk - they were £70 / 1,000 from memory - and the person that packet my order couldn't count - or couldn't be bothered to! - as there were probably 50% overs.

that black grass looked stunning too

Might be Ophiopogon planiscapus Nigrascens ?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal