Author Topic: Can anyone suggest a good veg growing app  (Read 4133 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Can anyone suggest a good veg growing app
« on: December 05, 2014, 16:10:15 »
Are they any use.

Could do with one that reminds me to sow things.  I always seem to end up with seeds I forget to sow.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Can anyone suggest a good veg growing app
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 16:34:33 »
Couldn't resist a plug for this site, and in particular this page;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Planning/Planning.htm

I am currently re-writing my website so that it will be more user friendly on tablets and smart phones so that you can get the info on the plot as you need it!

I am also taking the opportunity to update some of the info and the photography as some my present stuff is looking a bit aged (lke me)

I am not sure how long it is going to take me, months I expect!

But hopefully it will be worth itin the end!

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 16:45:31 »
Is that you Tee Gee? The Gardeners Almanac?
I use it as my home page. Have done for a couple of years now I think.
With the Moon cycles and everything. Its just up my street.
Thanks for that.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 17:16:54 »
Could do with one that reminds me to sow things.  I always seem to end up with seeds I forget to sow.
Probably not the answer you want, but on the off-chance:

I use a spreadsheet. I put the name of the veg in and the intended sowing date (based on the back of the packet / some book I read / etc.) and Qty I think I want, then I have columns for actual Sowing date, germinated, pricked out, planted out and then First and Last cropping dates. Also the Qty of plants grown.

I use that in future years to remind me when to plan to sow, but also when things will need pricking out etc. so that if we are going to be away in the Spring I can sow late/early so that pricking out does not clash.

I have a Notes column and record Too Few/Many and whether the variety's flavour was liked/hated and use that to influence future years.

In case of any help there is an explanation on my blog:
http://kgarden.wordpress.com/projects/vegetable-patch/2/#SeedSowingPlan

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 12:04:50 »
I use a spreadsheet, similar to kGarden's but mine is far more basic and doesn't have, for example, columns for pricking out or harvesting.  I do have a column for 'notes' though so I can write down anything that may be useful when deciding on next year's crops.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 12:52:26 »
Never thought to just put up my sowing plan.

Strange how we all have similar ideas but explain them differently .......I guess if they meet our need it doesn't really matter how they are laid out.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Computers/Sowing%20Plan.htm

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 18:36:10 »
I think I must get onto a spread sheet during the winter. 

Your list is interesting TG but I go a lot more succession sowing.  For example I sow several batches of runner beans final ones early July.   

Bit surprised at parsnips week 20   I get mine in about week 7-8 and also broad beans nearly onto third sowing by week 13.   The first sowing will be on the new moon 18th Feb though will also depend on the weather.

And then there are courgettes and squashes.  And Parsley.

Just been to your blog kgarden a lot to take in.  I do not seem to be able to copy and paste the plan.   Looks like I will have to make my own will be something to do during the winter evenings.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 10:50:45 »
Your list is interesting TG but I go a lot more succession sowing.  For example I sow several batches of runner beans final ones early July.   

Bit surprised at parsnips week 20   I get mine in about week 7-8 and also broad beans nearly onto third sowing by week 13.   The first sowing will be on the new moon 18th Feb though will also depend on the weather.

And then there are courgettes and squashes.  And Parsley.

This is what I would expect as each of us has there own timings for the things we prefer to grow.

For instance I don't like runner beans so I just make one sowing so that I have some beans for my family so straight away I would differ from you.

Then add to that that I am around a couple of hundred miles North of you at an altitude of around 300m (1000ft) so again I would expect my timings to be different from you!

In your first post you asked:

This is why I showed you the type of chart I use, meaning you could adapt this chart or indeed kGarden's chart which I am glad to see you have noticed when you say:

Looks like I will have to make my own will be something to do during the winter evenings.

I hope this explains the differences  we all have with other people on forums such as this.

In fact if you read ALL the details in the first link I did ( http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Planning/Planning.htm) you will see that my system of recording is pretty much like kGardens, only my detail is recorded on different pages e.g. one for sowing, one for plot layout and quantities and one for the results.

So at the end of the day we all get there in the end and hopefully in 2015 you will too!

It would seem that my memory is a bit like yours and  if I didn't have  a system like I have, then I  think I would be having problems like you do.

In fact now that my seed order has arrived I will be producing my sowing chart sometime over the next week or so as I usually start some of my stuff off in mid January!

Think of it this way! You now have something to do over the dark nights of winter!

So if there is anything you want clarifying just ask.

Who knows? there might be a few other people reading this thread with interest who might want some more info too!  :icon_rendeer:

Tg

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 13:08:09 »
Does sound like a good occupation for the winter evenings.  I have tracked all my relatives.  Thought I would also learn to create apps.   

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 13:28:59 »
I do not seem to be able to copy and paste the plan

Its just a picture I'm afraid, the Blog I use doesn't allow me to upload spreadsheets although, as Tee Gee says, I think its a lot of each-to-their-own so given I couldn't provide a download I choose to describe how I did mine instead.  No help for anyone not somewhat skilled-in-the-art of Spreadsheets, but there again I have all sorts of Bells and Whistles in mine, because I can and I'm a Geek!, and I suspect they would get in the way for many people

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 13:50:39 »
No help for anyone not somewhat skilled-in-the-art of Spreadsheets, but there again I have all sorts of Bells and Whistles in mine, because I can and I'm a Geek!, and I suspect they would get in the way for many people

If this is the case these tutorial sites might help.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel-help/get-to-know-excel-2010-create-your-first-spreadsheet-RZ101773335.aspx

http://www.gcflearnfree.org/googlespreadsheets/8

http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org/tutorial/Spreadsheet_Basics.html

http://www.lynda.com/Spreadsheets-training-tutorials/1367-0.html

I would guess you have one of these systems in your computer package but if not there are a few that offer free software.

I guess these  will keep you out of mischief for a while!

BTW don't forget to enter a reminder for you  to  hang your stocking up on the 24th  :toothy10:

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 20:12:37 »
I have no issues with spreadsheets.  I started using them nearly 30 years ago bit of a whizz.

Pretty nippy here, rather a windy site Mr Northwest Wind Esq really puts in a performance in May.  You have the Pennines to protect you, the wind will come down a little warmer having dumped off some rain the other side.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal