Author Topic: My new tablet  (Read 7237 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
My new tablet
« on: November 27, 2014, 21:24:24 »
My computer is 10 years old, but at least it has a keyboard, and I can type fast.  I can get onto allotments 4 all, and my email, but it does crash sometimes, very slow..  Doesn't seem to like facebook. So now I have a tablet, (£180) very brief instructions, but can download it from the internet all 240 pages.  I can turn it on and off, and that is about it, very easy to use. (ha, ha). before I throw it out the window.  I got extra money for learning word processing, and was an instructor, everyone laughs at me when I learnt to type, key board covered, with music.  Might give it to grandchild for Xmas as he managed to work it perfectly. It will probably go in the drawer with the mobile phone.  Maybe 2morrow I will have a lesson from the youngsters and love it.  Must be getting very old as I just love a phone that rings and I pick up the receiver and answer it, and my radio that is set to LBC and radio 4 and a TV that you turn on or off.  OH plays about with Sky and records things, but I can never get them back.  Rant over, if it wasn't raining and dark today I would have gone to the allotment.  This tablet spoke to my grandchild, and when he said are you a computer or a cat, got confused.  I don't know how he started this conversation with whatever or who, but we did have a laugh and got so many funny answers, and grandson took a photo of me, which I didn't like.  I don't believe it, my tablet is a camera, and have only just got to work my camera, which is idiot proof.

French-Dream

• Half Acre
Re: My new tablet
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 06:49:08 »
I know how you feel,  I'm not too bad with computers, I can (most times) get it to do what I want it to do. I'd love to know a lot more tho, about what goes on inside them, now I'm retired maybe I'll start digging about a bit more. I bought a tablet, but I didn't get on with a touch screen, so the OH now has it, I love to have a keyboard also.
I'll stick with my old laptop until something happens as long as I can, until then keep typing... :wave:
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 07:11:06 »
Would not be without mine. Kindle app for reading, guitar tuner, compass, barcode scanner, voice recorder for when I hear a new tune or song.  Just too much to list. stick with it Borlotti. Plenty of shops and cafes now have free wifi but if you already have sky there are wifi hotspots everywhere. As you are a walker, there are loads of routes you can use with the gps. Go to a small local computer shop and see if there are any user groups having a teach in.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 07:31:42 »
I'm with Ace on this. As a fully paid up neek - I have a windows tablet to try out, a Nexus that I have had for ages and I have tried ipads and blackberry tablets.  They are great but they don't replace my PC or laptop.  They have loads of uses but they are all about the applications (apps) of which there are hundreds of thousands - lots are free.  Give it time and get someone to help you out.  You really don't need to read the manual just pickup the basics and get going with some apps.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 11:16:31 »
Ha- just got into work and I have won an ipad mini to go with the nexus, windows tablet, laptop and PC!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 11:50:01 »
Think I may get a keyboard for it as not getting on too well with the touch screen, will keep trying. Will probably get a new tower for this computer, lovely man in Morrisons computer place said he would put all my old stuff on the new tower and could do it within an hour and it would only cost about between £100 - £150.  Have got a new screen and love my keyboard.  Well if the tablet doesn't do for me, I am sure one of the grandchildren can borrow it or use it.  I know you can put it on a memory stick, but rather the computer shop did it for me.  Last time they mended my computer, the man gave me a lift home in his car, with all my shopping.  It was a sunny day and he had just got a new car and wanted to get out of the shop and go for a drive.  He even plugged the computer it for me and it is in the bedroom, got told off my OH for being so trusting.  One of the advantages of being/looking old people are generally very helpful.  My daughter hates me when I go into my OAP helpless mode, but it does work normally.  Have paid £100 to have this repaired at a local shop and had to take it back, and it is still not perfect.  Told him not to repair it if it was too old.  Sometimes life is very complicated.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 19:02:25 »
Think I may get a keyboard for it as not getting on too well with the touch screen

My teenage daughter has an iPad (dunno what make your tablet is, so this may not be relevant) with a very natty & slim keyboard that doubles as a screen cover.  I expect she, being of the next generation, is very able with the touch-screen keyboard, but she certainly uses the clip-on one a lot.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/ultrathin-keyboard-cover

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 19:49:51 »
It is a Samung Galaxy Tab 3, did look on the Argos website, but it crashed today, nice man in BT world said I would find it easy, not sure if I can get a keyboard for it.  I am sure it is brilliant if I could work it. At least my 10 yr old computer is still working, sometimes.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 07:09:46 »
A keyboard is another thing you have to carry around with you as these are not computer replacements, more of a portable device. I purchased a leather cover for mine and it came with a nifty foam ended pointer which replaces my fat fingers and makes it a lot easier to use on the little inboard keyboard. They do a little pack of these in the pound shop so worth a try to see if it is any easier for you.

I also think you can reconfigure the keyboard with an app so you can slide across the letters without  lifting your finger, plus once you get used to the predictive text and the way the suggested words come up along the bottom you will be whizzing along without having to type every letter.

You should have done a bit more research before buying the Samsung, for the same money you could have had the kindle fire which is on offer and for me  is a lot better.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 10:59:17 »
ACE is right, I did rush in, but got so much conflicting advice that I got confused.  Think I should have stuck with my first idea which is getting a new tower from Morrisons.  Since I got the tablet computer seems to be working better. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 15:14:35 »
As a tech guy I would always go for the Samsung over the kindle as the Kindles are restricted in certain ways.  Of course that may not be applicable to everyone.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 16:53:29 »
My daughter bought me an ipad for my big 70 earlier this year & like you Borlotti was not too happy with it, but being of the mentality that says I will not be beaten by an inanimate object, finally got to grips with it. It is a long way from being a replacement for my beloved PC but is a very handy piece of extra very portable piece of kit. It now goes almost everywhere with me as it is easier (& cheaper) than using my phone to look things up whilst out. Indoors it is so convenient to look things up, play games,send emails etc from the comfort of my chair.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 20:03:12 »
With help from my grandson I'm learning how to use it more :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 13:43:30 »
Good on you! Keep at it. I work in computing but at first I found them slightly confusing, it took me a while to understand the standard ways of working (sliding the screen etc) but it soon becomes second nature.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 16:08:21 »
I have a 5 inch phablet phone and find it very useful.  All a bit strange to start with, but getting better all the time. 

Can track airplane arrivals for meeting daughter of hols, just finished Jane Eyre on the kindle app because its free never did read it all at school.    Got an alarm so do not miss many appointments now.  Put in some gardening things next year to remind me to sow things.   

I went for a cheapo Chinese one, might also get a cheap tablet.  Takes good pics as well.  Not sure why a tablet should be cheaper than a phone when out, I use BT hotspots as much as possible it only goes into my Gig package when there is no wifi. 

Can you use a blue tooth keyboard.  A friend has a kindle and does a lot less then my phone.

Keep at it, I am sure you will soon get the hang.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 17:40:07 »
On m y tablet with new eyboard just testingi cansend this OH on my lovely old slow compuer

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 13:20:06 »
My kids bought me a Kindle Fire for Christmas, I have an iPhone and did quite a lot of reading on it via a Kindle app before receiving this gift so its been interesting to see what can and can't be done on each device!

I hadn't realised Kindles were android system based (duh, technoidiot) so have been surprised how few apps I really wanted on that platform compared to the iPhone. It also isn't as comfortable to read from as I thought it would be, I now have sore hands and have learned to prop it up to avoid cramp! Jury's out on this one ATM.....I'm sure there is a lot I'm missing out on, but really can't be arsed to muck around for ages to find out what it can do! It does make my phone seem really titchy now though....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 13:46:03 »
Hubby is one of the least tech people I know decided he wanted tablet kind of phone to replace his old 'most basic nokia' phone...just because all his workmates were 'up to date' and he was feeling that he was missing out with something.. :drunken_smilie:
So...I looked some deals for him...got him phone and he picked colour....the phone came and he didn't have a glue how to work it. I set him some basic apps and showed get on with them. (Note!....I don't have tablet or these fancy phone...just old fashion puter on desk). He then went to work with his new phone...with new fancy protective cover...after two days he was screaming with frustration...to make simple phone call took him ages and working outdoor with bulky phone one's pocket  wasn't that good idea.. :BangHead:
SOO....guess who ended up cancelling it al, sending the phone back and getting his old phone back in track again...at least he is happy again. I had enough play with his phone to find out that I won't need one neither...not yet anyway.
But boy do we get funny looks from people when we pull out our little old nokias out of pocket to make a call...we both have got one...but they do the job! ...probably collectors items soon... :laughing7: :glasses9:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 14:22:10 »
But boy do we get funny looks from people when we pull out our little old nokias out of pocket to make a call...we both have got one...but they do the job! ...probably collectors items soon... :laughing7: :glasses9:

Although I love my phone/tablets at least you wont have to charge yours every d**n day!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 15:12:11 »

Although I love my phone/tablets at least you wont have to charge yours every d**n day!

:icon_cheers: No we don't! :sunny: ...and thanks for reminding me of that good point too. Older I get less I like mobile..or any sort of phones...ruins one's peaceful moments and I HATE that people are able to 'get hold' of you 24/7 . My mobile has been switched on for 3 weeks now!...no charging needed indeed... :evil6:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal