Author Topic: Mushy potatoes  (Read 2315 times)

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
Mushy potatoes
« on: November 26, 2014, 10:00:15 »
I am sure this is a problem many allotment holders have faced. You produce a lovely crop of spuds but they fall to bits when boiled into a mushy mess.
Is it due to one of the following or a combination - the variety grown, lack of watering or lack of muck. Has anybody had the problem and found a solution?
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Mushy potatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 10:50:58 »
It could be due to all of those reasons. Last year my potatoes were exactly same and it was mentioned in one of the 'papers' too, it was reported being issue when plants are short of water and resulting spuds will be high in dry matter...when cooked they take water in and will fall apart.
Saying that, some varieties are naturally like that and they would be better cooked by steaming and cooking stopped when they are still slightly firm (before they fall apart).
It is very annoying when it happens...but it doesn't spoil the broth... :icon_cheers:

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 11:00:05 »
As Goodlife says it can be due to all sorts of reasons. All you can do is first find a variety that suits your soil, than try to ensue that they grow at a regular rate with plenty of water and if you feed, I don't during the growing season, make sure the feed is not too high in nitrogen. The rest is as they say in the lap of the gods.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 19:47:28 »
The easy solution is to micro the potatoes in a covered container, or to steam them. Perfect every time.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Humbug carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Wonderful Worcester clay !!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 11:25:34 »
On Our allotment all varieties of spuds tend to go floury except for Pink Fir Apple, even the so called 'waxy' varieties. I put it down to the fact that we do not water spuds, they have to make do with what falls out of the sky, and possibly the soil type.
We tend to steam them or boil for a few minutes then turn them off and leave them in the water for a few more minutes to finish.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal