Author Topic: Warm or what?  (Read 5092 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Warm or what?
« on: November 23, 2014, 19:13:15 »
Is it just me, but I have not needed to switch the central heating on yet, not even used the lounge fire. Flinging the duvet off half the night to keep cool. The back door is opened first thing in the morning for the dogs to come and go at will and even just in my onesies I am not cold. Only drawback is the rain and getting the washing dry. Going to be another cheap heating bill this year and the winter gin heating allowance is due this week.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Warm or what?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 19:20:20 »
It might be warm down there, but up here the damp air makes one feel quite chilly...and temperature has really dropped down today.
We haven't had heating on at all neither but instead managed with log fire...getting washing dry is issue...
We've burned 'half a forest' now and started thinking of rum......brrr...

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 21:55:02 »
Really cold here.  Have had the fire on for about a week now. Frost forcast for tonight.   :coffee2:

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 22:09:09 »
Warm here too, but the only way to get the washing dry is to put the heating on. At least it's not on every night.

Though I'd quite like some proper winter here now please.

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 03:52:05 »
Must admit it's not "cold" here..(Warwick)...wet!!! not that's a different story all together. We do pop the heating on in the evenings, but turn it down when we we climb the apple & pears, just got up (03:50) and it's white outside, will have to help clear the wifes car later.
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 05:47:29 »
We had a picnic in the mountains yesterday (S Pyrenees) - it was 27º!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 06:57:19 »
well 45 mins North of you in "ever so rural"Wimborne its our 1st proper frost this morn,Jude just did her exercise...de icing.. before driving her usual 2 hour + drive up to Heathrow ........

.......but shes only got 14 more days before starting a NEW job down here in carrot crunching land.......hoobluddy ray....couldn't be more pleased for her...... :blob7:

ok we have my mum with us now so heatings been on a while,but haven't had the log fire going in the grate yet.

Gazza

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 07:42:07 »
What a terrible commute every morning, and as for doing it back after a days work, must be very wearing. We complain if we have to go to the West Wight which is about 11 miles, but at least we can toot going past Jim's place and wave at Bob in his tractor, then if it gets too much drop in on Mike for a cuppa to break the journey.

You must fill up the motor twice a week, that can't be cheap. But you made the right decision to move into the forest the frost must only be a dusting, the warm sea keeps it away from us most of the time, but I would like to see a nice heavy one to sterilise my turned ground a bit.

Have you been up to the sunday Wimbourne market lately and spotted any fruit bushes for sale? I need to make a trip over before xmas but only if it is going to be worth it.

A  quick PS  colder weather makes the cod run.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 11:57:31 »
Blimey I had to put my long trousers on for my cycle ride this morning!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 15:57:04 »
here too we have not had the usual weather. Heating is on but not very high.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 18:33:21 »
Plenty of 'or what' here last night, took ages to scape it off the windscreen.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 19:47:43 »
Me and my big mouth. It's got really chilly here tonight. Good job I had the boiler serviced last week, plus side the washing is drying on the rads. I tried just putting a pullover on first but the chill had set in. Still if it stays on now it won't be for long we are usually warm enough about Valentines day to turn it off again.

They do give the temperature to rise again into double figures on Thursday so fingers crossed.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 19:49:53 »
We have had central heating switched to constant since beginning of November.  However, thermostat is on 19 so it hasn't been on much, mainly in the mornings when we open the door to the living room (and the thermostat).  We have found that we can no longer sit in the living room with the TV on and the doors shut as it gets too hot (over 23C) so we sit here in a cool 21C.

We went for our usual walk today and in the shade I benefited from having a teeshirt on under my short sleeved shirt.

I just hope we get a good cold spell to get rid of the slugs, snails and germs.

Bill

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 20:20:01 »
It is definitely hot water bottle time of year here!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 20:35:29 »
Our thermostat's at 15C which is perfectly comfortable for me with a jumper and slippers on. :) I don't usually bother at all except for a few hours in the afternoon/evening if it goes below 12 or so (not very often).

It's never on at night no matter how cold it is because the noise of the boiler firing up and water circulating disturbs me, and I sleep badly enough as it is!

It was 1C here the other night. There's a nasturtium in a pot out front that for some unknown reason is still alive!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 22:28:44 »
Cars covered in frost at 7 p.m. this evening. It's going to be a good early morning scrape tomorrow.
(Great to see you back in form Ace)

P.S. One of them is a Micra so I'll have to scrape gently!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 23:34:38 »
One of them is a Micra so I'll have to scrape gently!
Nah...Micra's are made with attitude...they can take it, though be rough with them and they will scrape you back.. :tongue3: :icon_cheers:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 06:46:46 »
they will scrape you back..

The very reason I never park next to one in tescos.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 11:01:47 »
Me and my big mouth. It's got really chilly here tonight. Good job I had the boiler serviced last week, plus side the washing is drying on the rads. I tried just putting a pullover on first but the chill had set in.

First two frosts here, brrr, bit of a shock! Had been very mild.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 11:28:24 »
It's been really cold this past week, here on the edge of Salisbury Plain.  I have been putting leggins under my jeans to keep me warm and am now wearing my thermal vests. 

We switch the central heating on for an hour just to take the chill off on really cold days.  We have been burning logs on the stove in the lounge for the past few weeks and that ensures that we have somewhere warm to sit.  We keep the doors open so the heat goes to the rest of the house and the lounge doesn't get too hot then. 

The past two nights we have had very severe frosts.  It's always two degrees colder here than in Salisbury.  We have watched the car thermometer drop when driving home from the town.

Roll on Spring.....I can't stand this time of year when there is so little daylight hours. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal