Author Topic: Broken into again.....  (Read 4368 times)

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
Broken into again.....
« on: November 23, 2014, 15:59:44 »
Hi all , just had plot broken into for fifth time in three months .police and council not interested as it is just kids looking for petrol ,but I getting fed up with it as we put lot of time and effort in. Rumour has it that council wants to bin lotties and build houses on them and as council not letting empty plots out maybe there is some truth in it . What I really wanted to know is ,does anyone know where I can get a pull cord siren for my shed door as I remember my grandad having one on his shed . Ta in advance Woody

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Broken into again.....
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 16:10:48 »
a car battery a car horn a micro switch and a toggle switch is what i use because it is much louder than the shed alarms you can buy, the switch is hidden in the eves of the shed on the outside so it can be turned off and the micro switch against the shed door so when opened it goes off.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 18:33:37 »
a car battery a car horn a micro switch and a toggle switch 

What a brilliant idea...thanks.
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 19:05:49 »
Ta but as I am a complete incompetent with electrics any chance of some type of diagram . Sounds like a really good idea so will probably give it a try

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 04:53:48 »
I'll try to help with the bits & bobs, wiring it up is straight forward....

1..Car battery.

2..Car horn.

3.. Mirco switch such as This One

4..On/Off switch..found this waterproof one Here

4.. A length of twin core wire.

5..Couple of spade connectors...just found this ON/OFF switch with connectors.. Here

Some of these items...Battery/horn/wire.. you may already have, or ask friends & family. Then the wiring, fix the horn where it can't be seen and got at, but can be heard. Next fit the ON/OFF switch into the eves of the shed (as per hippydave's idea), next the micro switch needs to be fitted with the body of the switch on the door frame, so that when the door is closed the metal strip on the switch  is in contact with the door, closing the circuit breaker. When the system is on, if the door is opened the mirco switch is triggered and all hell is let loose..
I'm not that good at drawing a wiring diagram as such, but if you need one I give it a go... :drunken_smilie:
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 09:21:39 »
Hi Ya, sorry to hear of your problems. Why do they want the petrol? Our site has introduced a combination padlock to the main gate as we were getting drug users on site smoking their wacky baccy. They would break into sheds for comfort but it's the mess they make doing it. Some on site still leave the gate open and will not shuffle the code on the lock which defeats the object of the lock. There's no allowing for idiots I suppose.I will be interested to hear how your alarm works out.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 12:03:56 »
Hi Ya, sorry to hear of your problems. Why do they want the petrol? Our site has introduced a combination padlock to the main gate as we were getting drug users on site smoking their wacky baccy. They would break into sheds for comfort but it's the mess they make doing it. Some on site still leave the gate open and will not shuffle the code on the lock which defeats the object of the lock. There's no allowing for idiots I suppose.I will be interested to hear how your alarm works out.

I am also of the opinion that a lock which isn't actually locked may not be such a bad idea.  We had a shed break-in.  They chucked the lock a little distance away, but didn't damage the door.  Nothing of value in there fortunately.  I guess the determined thief will always break in, but the casual opportunist sees a lock and goes elsewhere.  Love the hooter!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 14:12:18 »
Have a spare can for petrol, take it home. Leave  a can with old petrol/pe* mixture to sort their carbs out!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 16:11:52 »
Sorted with the petrol can with sugar and pxxx in and rakes in shed and trip wires to dustbin lids ,much noise . Very fine netting inside door bcos no-one likes spider webs . And best of all a camera trap which got a pic  n police interested but council couldn't give a toss, they want lot ties gone to make way for flats , that is why they are not letting allotments this year even though there are a few vacant and a waiting list as long as your arm. Rant over ,hope everybody had good Xmas and have a happy new year . W :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 19:41:36 »
You have certainly been inventive. Council attitude is not helpful though I believe that there is a correlation between empty disused plots and vandalism and break ins. Shame that you have to put up with this.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal