Author Topic: All Washed up  (Read 3999 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
All Washed up
« on: November 20, 2014, 14:00:30 »
Well nearly!

I have been doing a bit of washing up this last few days as you can see here;

Approx 800 x 3" pots

Approx. 200 x 4" pots

Approx 40 x24 cell trays and 4 Sets of Root Trainers

Approx 10 x 40 Cell trays and 10 x 10 Cell trays

I have purposely cut them to these sizes in order to fit then into a standard 14" x 8" tray

Stacked ready for use Feb / March

Punnets to sow my seeds in.

Again for convenience I use these to sow seeds in as I can get four of these into a standard tray meaning I can sow at least four types of seeds at the one go.

Quite often I sub-divide these punnets into 3 or 4 sections and can then sow up to 12 varieties of seeds in the one tray.

This method saves lot of Propagator space!

Approx 10 x 9 cell trays

I find these very useful when I sow things such as Cucumbers, Pumpkins & Courgettes i.e. things that I only need a few of!

My tray rack

I may wash these but I find this not too important as I usually sit the cell tray inserts in these so my seedlings are not really in contact with them, so I find a good brushing with a stiff brush cleans them up sufficiently for my needs.

The Grot Spot!

Like all gardeners I guess! We all seem to have a "Grot Spot" somewhere in our garden....I'm no different!

The bags are full of well rotted horse manure that has the texture and colour of damp cocoa powder.

I plan on mixing my own compost next year where I will mix some of this with, Peat, Silver sand and Q4 fertiliser to some recipes I have.

Right that's more or less it for 2014 now I can get on with re-writing and updating  my website!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: All Washed up
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 15:52:43 »
You are putting me (and I guess others too) thoroughly to shame!  This is very neat and tidy, all ready and to hand when the madness of early spring sowings starts again.  Reminder to self - go and get this mess sorted! - need a kick-up-the-a..e smiley.  Thanks for showing us.   :wave:

For you - a well earned  :coffee2: 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 17:23:27 »
For you - a well earned  :coffee2:

Thanks Galina but I have already had few might go for something a bit stronger later!

ps Don't be too hard on yourself I have pushed on because of other things I have on my plate, usually I do the 'washing up' in Jan/Feb

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 18:02:04 »
You call that a grot-spot, you should see some of the messy areas round my greenhouse.....
I absolutely hate washing pots, but got it done earlier this year, why did I bother, sorting out some big pots for new strawberry plants, I discovered the hard way that a wasp was overwintering between them....antihistamines, antibiotics, blimey this gardening is a dangerous business!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 20:56:22 »
I knew there was something else I should have done today.  :tongue3:

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 05:50:26 »
And I moan about doing the dish's....well done TeeGee
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 10:26:59 »
Someone after my owñ heart there! Spent many an hour washing pots and trays. Not quite as many as that though! Are they stored outside? I keep my clean pots and trays in boxes in the garage, while the unwashed ones are stored on shelves waiting to be used or washed.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 10:33:59 »
I never wash my pots ... sorry!  If something is diseased, which is rare, I throw it away - plot, soil and pot.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 13:21:52 »
Are they stored outside?

The sowing trays are kept under the greenhouse bench but the pots & cell trays that I prick out into are outdoors until such times as I need them.

I never wash my pots ... sorry! 

No need to be sorry each to their own I say!

If something is diseased, which is rare, I throw it away - plot, soil and pot.

I throw the plant & soil and wash the pots!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal