Author Topic: Found something new to me to grow....  (Read 3928 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Found something new to me to grow....
« on: November 20, 2014, 12:53:09 »
...Kang Kong water spinach! :icon_cheers:
Never grown it before...Kang Kong sounds 'promising' = king kong like? :tongue3:
Packet of seeds came with very clear instructions....and the bit with 'growing in container with no holes...watering until water level is 1-2" below surface...' sounded interesting indeed..kind of 'bog plants'. :drunken_smilie:
I would love to hear if any of you have grown or eaten this spinach...how did you get on...do they taste ok...etc etc..?
I must do more 'googling' to learn more... :icon_cheers:

I wonder how readily these would set seeds in uk........."WINK" :laughing7:

pumkinlover

Re: Found something new to me to grow....
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 13:39:50 »
I wonder what you mean by that goodlife..........?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 14:02:01 »
I wonder what you mean by that goodlife..........?
:tongue3: ....well you never know, 'few' extra seeds might come handy.... :glasses9:
I think is time to claim a space back in the polytunnel from all the logs...there might be need for the extra room and all the heat..
hmmmmmm.....'lots of planning going on in my brain now...

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 14:40:34 »
Funny you should mention Water Spinach/Ipomoea aquatica, I bought a pack earlier in the year too  :icon_cheers:

I grew it about 4 or 5 years ago. Germinated it in a propagator, just using multi purpose compost and then transplanted to the poly-tunnel border. Likes warmth and moisture but seem to grow well enough in the soil and kept well watered same as watercress. Likely it grows better if swampy conditions. I don't remember mine flowering but I would have been picking the shoots to eat. Lovely stuff to eat, really popular in Thailand and Vietnam. Lightly stir fried with a little garlic and chilli, optional dash of soy sauce to finish delish :toothy10:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 15:44:59 »
OH YUM....! ...sounds good to me.
I have now seen some dishes from far east.. and they are made with such a simple ingredients and minimum effort (I hope) that this veggie sounds something that will be suitable for me...butter, spinach and garlic...SIMPLES :icon_cheers:
I'm starting to think that maybe I need to grow one lot separately...not harvesting at all to allow plant to reach flowering size as soon as possible...maybe even start that little bit earlier under lamps so they are already established when they are taken to tunnel.
Seeds for these are not expensive or even difficult to get hold of...but it is not the 'same' than growing one's own seeds.

And there was me thinking that I have 'grown out' of my experimental phase of life.. :drunken_smilie: NOPE...I still got it and gardening mojo is sticking it's 'ugly' head up again...not only the head but waving a big red flag in same time.. :smileinbox:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 17:37:14 »

And there was me thinking that I have 'grown out' of my experimental phase of life.. :drunken_smilie: NOPE...I still got it and gardening mojo is sticking it's 'ugly' head up again...not only the head but waving a big red flag in same time.. :smileinbox:

Good to read !!!   :wav:  You had me worried there for a bit .............   :wave:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 19:17:09 »
You had me worried there for a bit .............   :wave:

Nah...nothing to worry about...I just took a happy pill and I'm ready to rumble.. :icon_cheers: (..just vitamins... :tongue3:)

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 19:29:38 »
Looks like cuttings of them root in water very readily so may not need to save seed at all :happy7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVXKMUhcDJo

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 20:52:04 »
Looks like cuttings of them root in water very readily so may not need to save seed at all :happy7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVXKMUhcDJo

Yes, I noticed that too and it is really good thing too....but still, it ain't same thing as having seeds, at least as a back up. Plant material don't last forever and somewhere along the line some sort of 'bug' is bound to take over. And we have our long winters that are far from ideal growing conditions..too cold outdoor...too dark indoors and having grow lights on all the time will make gardening expensive hobby....but seeds, they don't need anything too fancy for their 'keeping' and don't take that much room.
(I'm kidding myself with the room thing...small as they are, they soon amount into big heap  :angel11:)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 21:22:12 »
Goodlife,
Have you ever tried making a small bog? I had some liner left over from my pond making period. It lines a hole I later filled with soil and peat and has worked well sustaining some grasses that prefer boggy soil.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Bing

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 22:30:58 »
seeds on eBay only 89p

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 22:53:04 »
Goodlife,
Have you ever tried making a small bog? I had some liner left over from my pond making period. It lines a hole I later filled with soil and peat and has worked well sustaining some grasses that prefer boggy soil.
Yep..I have....some years ago I had a go at growing cloud- and cranberries....but that is another story. I shall repeat that experiment again, one day, but I must do more thinking before I 'dive in' and buy the plants..when I do I won't be do it in hurry again... :glasses9: Thank you reminding of that....have to put in my 'must do list'  :icon_thumleft:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 22:58:18 »
seeds on eBay only 89p

Oh yes, they are cheap to buy...after all in their native region, they grow like a weed.
I just like a little challenge and try my luck....and if it works..those seeds are even more precious and the crop from those own grown seeds WILL taste that little bit 'sweeter'... :icon_cheers:
But for now, that bought packet is staring at me on my table and I can hardly wait to show them some soil...'soon my little ones, soon...' :tongue3:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 10:29:05 »
Seems it is a bit of a weed

http://www.thestar.com.my/Lifestyle/Food/News/2014/01/15/Kangkung-can-kill-you-hazards-and-health-benefits-of-a-noxious-weed/

Hopefully the flukes do not arrive with the seeds.

Lets hope it does not cross with the bindweed and develop a taste for a temperate climate.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 10:36:47 »
I think there is quite few bindweed related food plants that many would wish that they would cross...bloody bindweed grows everywhere and you can't even eat it.... :BangHead:...well, one could but...
 :idea1:..actually, I haven't even checked it, maybe it is edible for some extent..maybe it just taste foul rather than kill or make you ill.. :dontknow:...one must find out.. :laughing7:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 14:58:46 »
Nope...bindweed is NOT EDIBLE..".mildly toxic to grazing animals"..and includes me  :icon_biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal