Author Topic: How Long do I Freeze Butternut Squash for beforre bagging up?  (Read 2288 times)

shambasarfi

• Quarter Acre
  • Growing vegetables in our back garden
Last year we cubed our butternut squash, laid the pieces on trays and froze them and then bagged them up into helping sizes.  We steamed our squash direct from frozen in one of those collander-type steamers that fits into a regular saucepan and the butternut squash tasted the same as it did when used fresh.  The only thing I have forgotten is how long do I have to leave the pieces on the tray before I can bag that lot up and moved on to the next batch?

The other thing of note is that we got 3 enormous squash, a photograph of which I posted earlier on, and I have opened one of these up and the flesh looks perfectly edible once you have peeled all the green outside off.  We have also tasted it and it tastes OK

Shambasarfi
When a man tries to drown his sorrows he generally makes his head swim!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: How Long do I Freeze Butternut Squash for beforre bagging up?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:26:11 »
how long do I have to leave the pieces on the tray before I can bag that lot up and moved on to the next batch

As soon as they are frozen they are ready for bagging up....length of time depends of your freezer. So if they feel solid, they are frozen and ready.

no1puddin

• Not So New ...
    • mom's garden
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:37:07 »
I agree with Goodlife.
Here in South Africa we have just had a week of good rain's and I am planning to make my garden a pumpkin patch so this week end I will be planting the seeds and hope that by January I won't have to weed for a while.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 14:36:15 »
I agree with Goodlife.
Here in South Africa we have just had a week of good rain's and I am planning to make my garden a pumpkin patch so this week end I will be planting the seeds and hope that by January I won't have to weed for a while.

:drunken_smilie: I just cannot put my head around the idea planting pumpkin seeds this time of the year... :drunken_smilie:
I wish you growing season is success...in mean while here in north I just carry on eating the fruit stock and dream of the seedy jobs ahead in 'few' months time.
Btw...what sort of pumpkins are you growing?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 22:05:25 »
Why freeze them? Don't they keep well just left around?  They look so beautiful throughout the winter, on a table or in a basket.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 08:39:32 »
Why freeze them? Don't they keep well just left around?  They look so beautiful throughout the winter, on a table or in a basket.

Yes, and mine are windowsill decoration too.  They keep very well.  But when I cut into one (especially the bigger ones), then what is left after a meal is too big to go into the veg compartment of the fridge.  Might as well cut the whole thing up into chunks, slices and cubes - use what is needed for the first meal and freeze the rest.  Saves on dried up edges and prep work later.   :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal