Author Topic: Who else does Marrowfat peas the old way??.  (Read 14198 times)

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: Who else does Marrowfat peas the old way??.
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 08:40:13 »
Slightly off topic, but these are the seeds I use for pea shoots which as we speak are about a foot tall and make brilliant soup. Always wondered what that alka seltzer type thingy was.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 20:54:14 »
I grow them on my plot, a small box goes a very long way and gives me enough dried peas to take me all the way through the winter.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 21:02:46 »
Not marrowfats - but I now regularly make pease pudding from yellow split peas and it's gorgeous!  It's more like a kind of vegetarian cross between paté and hummus without the garlic.

Best way is to soak them and then cook them up with diced carrots and onions in a ham stock if you can get it (but a stock cube in water will do) ... just as if you're making a soup ... then reduce it slowly further until you get a thick paste and allow it to cool.

Delicious!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 09:37:50 »
I've got some in soak now :glasses9: The weather is so wet and cold that one is in need of something really warming in one's tummy.
Pan full of 'mighty' pea soup is the job :icon_cheers:

yum yum!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 18:04:11 »
Mmmm.  its winter again so mushy peas on the table (home cooked ones, not tinned).

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 09:26:17 »

" pease pudding"  now that's a thought, I've never had it but as we both love mushy peas this has to be the next step.... :wave:
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 11:38:09 »
Love these and hadn't thought of growing them. Will try this season.

Have any of you tried the Wasabi thing with them?

I'd always thought adding loads of vinegar and black pepper to them was a Scottish variation....according to chippie we visit in Porthmadog

Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 20:28:48 »
I just found this old post so am bumping it.

I  cook mushy peas, not the fast soak ones, but the regular ones that you soak overnight. I do them three or four  boxes at a time, then after rinsing them the next day I do them in my slow cooker/slowcrock. I find boiling them sometimes pops the skins off but the slow cooking is bang on right. It takes much longer but you can do them on low and go out. When cool I pack them in 1 cup size servings , they freeze very well if cooked right then when I need a packet to go with fish and chips, I nuke them. Works perfectly.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal