Author Topic: Who else does Marrowfat peas the old way??.  (Read 14200 times)

French-Dream

• Half Acre
Who else does Marrowfat peas the old way??.
« on: November 11, 2014, 12:05:24 »
After I'd finished  making the crimbo pud,  I turned my hand to making Marrowfat peas.  I can remember as a lad mum soaking these hard as a bullet peas over night, ready to serve up the following teatime. My other half and I love Marrowfat peas with our fish and chips,  and as I'm cooking  tonights fish supper (River cobbler)  I thought it would be good to make the peas the old fashioned way.
Having bought a bag of dried peas the weekend nows the time to get stuck in. They still have the "tablets" inside the bag that you use when cooking/soaking.  :toothy10: wish me luck.
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

lezelle

• Acre
Re: Who else does Marrowfat peas the old way??.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 12:26:48 »
Hi Ya,  Interesting, I have only had marrowfat peas out of a tin or from the chippy. I tried growing some marrowfat peas but was not very successful. I do grow onward, which are supposed to be marrowfats. If you bought dried peas did you buy just any dried pea? When you sok them over night do add any thing to the water? Do you cook them in the water they have been soaking in? I like to try different things so any advice would be appreciated to get me trying to make my own. Happy Gardening

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:41:49 »
Are they like mushy peas? Or those disgusting "processed" peas in tins that my parents used to force me to eat as a child?

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 13:13:39 »
Lezelle  hi...
We got this packet last Sat from Asda, they are called Marrowfat peas on the packet, you only have to boil for ten minutes adding one of the tablets. Then leave them for two hours to soak in the water you used to cook them, then reheat adding a tsp of sugar I think I'm going to add a dash of vinegar like mum did, it's all on the packet what to do. Give them a go and see what you think. :icon_cheers:

Silverleaf hi...

They are like a mushy peas, I don't think these are "processed peas" my reasoning on this is you can get tins of garden, mushy, marrowfat and processed from the supermarket,  they all taste different so in my mind that's four types of peas.  :wave:  there again I have been known to be wrong in the past.... :icon_thumright:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 13:31:51 »
Good luck with your mushy peas   :happy7:
I always have faint envy for the amount of love some people have for eating mushy peas. I've tried them several times but I find the texture is just horrid beyond!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 14:42:31 »
Good luck with your mushy peas   :happy7:
I always have faint envy for the amount of love some people have for eating mushy peas. I've tried them several times but I find the texture is just horrid beyond!

Agreed! Mushy peas smell revolting to me too, I have to leave the room if someone's brought some back from the chippy. Yuk.

It's weird because I absolutely adore fresh peas.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 14:44:26 »
Silverleaf hi...

They are like a mushy peas, I don't think these are "processed peas" my reasoning on this is you can get tins of garden, mushy, marrowfat and processed from the supermarket,  they all taste different so in my mind that's four types of peas.  :wave:  there again I have been known to be wrong in the past.... :icon_thumright:

That makes sense! I never buy peas in tins so I know pretty much nothing about them.

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 17:45:21 »

Well... what's the old adage?..."one man meat".....all I can say is these mushy peas were out of this world. We both loved them, this is what we will be cooking from now on.

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 18:11:05 »
When I lived in France I use to buy the packets in the UK to take back with me. They had the tablets and I would break them in half so that I could soak smaller portions. I remember soaking them overnight and then boiling them the next day. MOH loved them as they werejust like the ones he had as a kid in Ireland. 
PS They are not processed peas, I hate them !!
Bring back Spotty Dog........

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 18:18:30 »
I remember as a teenager reading that the "tablets" were something that made the peas a violent green, but destroyed any vitamin C that they might have supplied. Have i imagined this? I actually like mushy peas in a masochistic sort of way.

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 19:44:47 »
Interesting article about them, especially about the tablets..

http://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A87801294
Bring back Spotty Dog........

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 20:31:48 »
Interesting article about them, especially about the tablets..

http://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A87801294

Thanks very interesting read... :wave:

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 22:16:49 »
Dried peas or mushy peas were a regular on the menu when I was a child.  My mother would soak the dried peas overnight in water with the soaking tablet or if a tablet didn't come in the packet she would add a teaspoon of bi carbonate of soda which would help to soften the peas.  They would then be rinsed and put in fresh water and boiled for about an hour. Add salt , pepper and vinegar. We had them with fish and chips. roast dinners, stews, etc and we thoroughly enjoyed them.  Not had any for years but might do now I know they are still about.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 06:59:36 »
I use Natural No1 marrowfat peas, Usually grow one 25ft row. Leave to ripen on the vince and harvest when looking dry. Store in a paper bag, I use them in the winter in the hungry gap Soak in hot water with a little bicarb overnight and simmer for about 30 minutes until soft Serve with pepper and a dash of vinegar mmmmmmmmmm nice with steak and kidney pie or fish and ships

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 08:06:16 »
Not had any for years but might do now I know they are still about.

I've known that you could still get dried peas, but never done anything about it until now.  You find them in most supermarkets with all the pulses...lentils, pearl barley and the like.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 09:43:51 »
Oh yes...I did grow up seeing mum soaking up peas in kitchen and I do it too...though there was yeeeeaars in between before I started doing it.
I don't soak peas for 'mushy peas'  but for making my 'epic pea soup' ...usually end up making 'army quantity' at the time and freezing most of it to be used as 'quick dinner' (when I feel like cooking is too much hard work for the day). MMMM....it warms you up in cold winter's day  :icon_cheers:

I 'love' mushy peas, fresh peas, pea soup, cooked peas..peas in any form.... but the 'stuff' that comes out of tin, NO THANK YOU...

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 11:53:02 »
Hi Ya French Dream, I bought some dried peas from Sainsbery before seeing your reply to my post. I don't recall seeing any tablets, what are they and what do they do? I am going to try growing some aswell as cooking them. A fellow plot holder grew some a couple of years ago quite successfully. How did yours turn out? Happy Gardening to all

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 08:21:14 »
In the packet we got, the tablets were inside, if not you use a teaspoon of bi-carb when you soak/cook them. We both love mushy peas so no more tins for us guys.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 12:27:24 »
Hi Ya, Well I had sucess with my mushy peas. I mixed a teaspoon of soda with boiling water, soaked them overnight, rinsed them off and left them soak in fresh water all day. Put them on stove in the water and boiled them for 20mins, maybe over did them slightly but a splash of pepper and hey ho they were lovely. Will be doing them again soon thanks for the advice and telling me.

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 15:33:27 »
Hi Ya, Well I had sucess with my mushy peas. 
Will be doing them again soon thanks for the advice and telling me.

Great...you can't beat them, much better than the tined ones. At the end I pop in a small dab of butter, pepper, salt, and a dash of vinegar.  I make mine when we have fish at least once a week, with home made chunky chips..... :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal