Author Topic: Post-frost clearout  (Read 2301 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Post-frost clearout
« on: November 09, 2014, 13:29:37 »
I'm always quite pleased when the frost hits(as long as it's not early!) as it means I can clear all the stuff I should have cleared before but couldn't bring myself to do, like the nasturtiums and courgette plants. Now I just need a bit of dry weather before winter sets in so I can dig over the bits I've cleared!

pumkinlover

Re: Post-frost clearout
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:55:51 »
I think we are all a bit like that Caroline. Clinging on to the last reminder of summer :wave:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 10:23:02 »
Yes, I like like the post summer clear up as well, and have this week off so I planned to do exactly that. However, the ground is soaking wet, and I seem to have some sort if trapped nerve/ pulled muscles in my right hip which is blooming painful! Why does my body wait for holiday time off to do this!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 12:07:12 »
I think we are all a bit like that Caroline. Clinging on to the last reminder of summer :wave:

So true.  Plants that aren't properly brown and dead might miraculously do something?  They don't but there is always hope.  Just kidding (myself)  :wave:

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 14:11:13 »
I am doing it bit by bit. Chopped away a lot of the rosemary that was getting to be a pest, removed a lot of woody branches here and there, pulled out the rhubarb that was not pulling its weight (sob!) and that was a b****rd of a job!  Turn over a bit of a patch each time I visit, build a new pile of compost etc etc. I am sure it will all be ship shape by the time I get the echalotes going in February!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal