Author Topic: Internet explorer Take over bid question  (Read 3749 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Internet explorer Take over bid question
« on: November 06, 2014, 23:56:39 »
Every now and then I seem to click on something which takes over my computer.  I get a new page as my internet home page, I get a different page when I open a new window etc etc.  In the end it is reversible but rather frustrating working out what to uninstalled from the programs I am always worried I will delete the wrong thing and then how to reset things as they were,  I need a quick button that goes get rid of it quick.  I wanted to download something and it wanted an updated version of Adobe Acrobat and instead of just updating all sorts of things were installed.  Real pain.

Is there any way of stopping this happening, it sends me nuts.

I am not the only one my BIL was complaining about suddenly loosing Google and did not know how to get google maps back.  Someone else I know was complaining about being Binged.  I have been Binged so I have already got rid of that several times.

I also seem to have Stormwatch and it keeps offering me prizes for assessing webpages. 

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
Re: Internet explorer Take over bid question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 00:38:47 »
Maybe Malwarebytes would help?

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 09:15:15 »
Updating Adobe was probably the culprit as you get an option to install another search engine (I think it is Ask) and reset your home page. This option is enabled by default and you have to untick the box.
You also need to watch out for the same sort of thing with Flash Player and several other software up dates.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 09:25:52 »
It is very annoying when this sort of thing is attached to an otherwise bona fide piece of software. 

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 10:19:47 »
I had recommended to me something called" YAC" yetanothercleaner to download for free. Sofar it has been brilliant in eliminating this problem , although it interrupts often and delays what one is trying to achieve. It seems to react more quickly than the avira free antivirus, which remains operative.
There ought to be a way for the World to clear out many of the shysters who spoil our use of the internet. United Nations, go for it!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 17:17:57 »
Updating Adobe was probably the culprit as you get an option to install another search engine (I think it is Ask) and reset your home page. This option is enabled by default and you have to untick the box.
You also need to watch out for the same sort of thing with Flash Player and several other software up dates.

You have to read all of the "boxs" that pop up while your loading a program, it'll want to load other "bits" that you don't need.  Don't let it do anything that you don't want, you keep control of your PC.
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal