Author Topic: Halloween  (Read 3685 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Halloween
« on: October 31, 2014, 20:26:00 »
Well I didn't have a pumpkin this year, but did buy a few sweets, only cost £2 and already OH is moaning.  Have put my knitted ghosts outside and so far only two visits.  Lovely children with mothers, I am so so scared.  Last time I did say to the little boy what is the trick, and he burst into tears, but he got his sweets.  Not sure I agree with it, but I am not as miserable as OH yet, and the cat who hates the door bell and is hidding in the cupboard, and hates fireworks and a strike, I don't believe it.  Well I now have 21 packets of jelly sweets, another two nice children with Mum, the trick was a water pistol so they got their sweets, only another 15 packets of sweets left.
Night night.

Spireite

• Half Acre
Re: Halloween
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 20:41:06 »
We greeted our trick or treaters with the sonic screwdriver...unfortunately it was lost on them!!!  I doubt we will get anymore now it's after 8.30...at least  I hope not.
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 20:55:07 »
I like to do a pumpkin in the porch and have something for the kids but this year I didn't get organised and my squash were the wrong shape. The people over the road put lights and pumpkins out which seems to encourage the  trick or treater's in their direction.

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 21:04:44 »
I gave my (102lb - 7st4) pumpkin to the niece and nephews to carve this year....apparently they have the largest in their (small) street.  :tongue3:
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 21:55:00 »
we closed all the curtains and turned the lights off

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 01:24:46 »
We were out all night!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 07:09:31 »
Couldn’t believe how greedy some of the children were.  Bought multi packs of choccy bikkies ie: kit kat, penguin, Cadbury mini dippers etc.  Approx 40 – 50 in my basket.  The first lot of children were okay, only took 1 each.  The second lot, accompanied by an ex colleague of mine, grabbed the whole lot and even when the basket was empty said that there was another small child without anything.  Luckily I had a further multi pack of kit kat so put them in – out of 10 packs, he took 8!!!!  Thankfully had no further visits after that.  I am not a moaner but ........

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 09:07:02 »
I just typed long reply of 'what I think of Halloween and how we spent last night'...but it started to sound too much 'doom'...perhaps better leave my inner 'Victor M' at rest for now... :tongue3:
We had enough to cope with some fireworks, never mind answering the door...poor cats and dogs, our dog is NOT happy about them at all :angry4: And nor am I....HATE the bleeding things...(Victor is on its way now).... :angry5:

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 09:59:06 »
At least you haven't had fireworks going off the the last week or so - Diwali.  I hate them also.  Never liked them due to the fact that when I was younger, "for a laugh" older kids would throw bangers and jumping jacks at you to see your reaction.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 12:15:25 »
Well the children that called were very polite and Mum was waiting at the gate and they only took one small bag of sweets each and all said thank you and offered one to Mum and she said thank you too, so all in all was quite impressed. Did lock the door after 9 pm, as it can be frightening.  The little ones enjoy dressing up, but not too sure about knocking on doors, maybe a party at home would be better.  Fireworks next, I can remember cold wet nights, but the sun is shining here today.  A bonfire at the allotment would be good, and no-one can moan tonight about the smoke as Enfield Town have their big firework display.  Cat not too bad with fireworks, can go in the cupboard, but my dog used to get very distressed and would try and dig up the fitted carpet.  There must be plenty of money about as I am much too mean to spend money on fireworks, although will watch out the window.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 19:18:20 »
A very sweet group of children rang the bell last night, beautifully dressed, along with a parent, and I was mortified to have nothing at all that they would like. They were very polite about it, and moved on down the High Street. Must be better prepared next year.....

My grandchildren in London do trick and treat but only among families known to each other, with parents supervising. It must seem quite exciting to the small children in their gruesome costumes, but in fact it is quite formal and carefully organised. Seems fairly harmless to me, and with my own children being quarter American, I am not going to rubbish it for being a transatlantic import.

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 20:09:33 »
Couldn’t believe how greedy some of the children were.  Bought multi packs of choccy bikkies ie: kit kat, penguin, Cadbury mini dippers etc.  Approx 40 – 50 in my basket.  The first lot of children were okay, only took 1 each.  The second lot, accompanied by an ex colleague of mine, grabbed the whole lot and even when the basket was empty said that there was another small child without anything.  Luckily I had a further multi pack of kit kat so put them in – out of 10 packs, he took 8!!!!  Thankfully had no further visits after that.  I am not a moaner but ........

You are too kind!!
Next time don't give them the chance. Four kids = four chocolate bars. Think about their health and teeth . You will be doing them a favour!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 08:21:13 »
Our Youngest makes Halloween biscuits & witches hats etc. Last year they had a family knock on the door, Father had a tin of Stella in his hand & had the nerve to ask for money. He soon buggered off when 6'3" SiL appeared.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 09:13:47 »
I certainly do no approve of people knocking at my door unless it is prearranged. 

Certainly would hand out the chocolate bars, one child one bar.

We always had an allhallows night party for local children.  I involved going round the house with torches and making loud noises in all the corners and cupboards and under the beds, so chase out any ghoulies or ghosties which might be hiding there.  So the children then are not afraid of the dark because they know nothing can be lurking there.  It involves a lot of noise and chasing round the house in the dark.  And carving not pumpkins but mangleworsels, which you cannot buy anymore, but used to be able to find parsnips, except they have shrunk now.  Children loved it. 

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 16:28:05 »
It's not really done too much in France,but you do get a few kids usually. For once I bought lollies and not one bleedin' kid showed up!!! My two were on hols, when they came back and saw the packets of sweets, they did the dance of victory... oh well, at least they will get eaten!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 21:00:38 »
We were happy to see our grandkids (dressed as cats) do exactly what we had done as kids: when they returned home from trick or treating they dumped their haul of candy on the livingroom carpet and categorized each piece!  I can still remember avoiding one house on our street because it had a big 3-legged iron pot out front that looked exactly like what a witch's cauldron; definitely not worth the risk for one candybar.

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal