Author Topic: training for volunteers  (Read 2304 times)

WAM

training for volunteers
« on: October 30, 2014, 17:25:28 »
I am writing on behalf of Worthing Allotment Management, who started self-management on one of the local sites in October 2013 and are encouraging more sites to join us in 2015.

A number of our tenants have been working away to clear undergrowth, trim or remove dead trees etc. This has involved them in using equipment such as large rotavators, brush cutters chain saws etc which we provided. Obviously we have the basic RHS/NFU insurance, but as we progress with the work we are constantly concerned at how much training we ought to provide for members of the working parties, and whether we even need some kind of formal certification. Opinions vary and we are aware that other self-management groups are ahead of us in the evolutionary process, so I am writing to ask whether any of you have already resolved this issue and could  advise us of your solution so we can follow your lead.

bluecar

• Acre
Re: training for volunteers
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 19:40:26 »
Hello WAM.

Volunteers are classified as unpaid employees so it is essential that you have employers liability insurance.  To my knowledge chain saws should only be operated by trained, certified operatives otherwise you are at risk of breaking health & safety regulations. I would think as far as the other machinery that you mention then a short course on safe handling, which is documented, should suffice with attendees signing to say they have attended the course. You may also wish to set them a test which is signed off on their successful completion. This may seem over the top, but if you have supplied the machinery and an accident occurs eg someone puts the rotavat or in reverse ans falls in front of it as it is reversing you could be liable if training has not been given.

If the volunteers supply their own equipment it may be a different story.

Unfortunately in this day and age of the 'see you in court' culture, you need to protect yourselves.

This is just my opinion on the situation. I hope it helps.

Regards

Blucar

bluecar

• Acre
Re: training for volunteers
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 20:35:44 »
Hello again WAM

Apologies for not welcoming you to the A4A site. Self management, I believe has many advantages including keeping the costs down. Hopefully you will persuade other sites to join you. By the sounds of it, your site has needed (still needs) a lot of work to bring it up to scratch.

At least you have a number of tenants willing to make a difference.

Regards

Bluecar

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal